Who was the best WWII general ?

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AllanW
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who was the best WWII general ?

Post by AllanW » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Just idle curiosity but who do fellow members think was the best general of WWII - Guderian, Rommel, Patton, McArthur, Monty, Zhukov ?

Dave T
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Who was the best WWII general ?

Post by Dave T » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:17 pm

Zhukov by a country mile!

Chieftain 900

Post by Chieftain 900 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:19 pm

General Winter (Russians name for the winter period)
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

Beethoven

Post by Beethoven » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:32 pm

Alexander, stopped Rommel and got the 8th army build up started before Monty took the credit. He was also the one I believe who authorised the formation of the LRDG and SAS.

John H
John H :flags-wavegreatbritain:
Membership Secretary

The original 1/6th Sturmtiger, 2x1/6th Stuart, 1/16th King Tiger, 1/16th Sherman(building), 1/16th Gepard.

TANKDUEL

Post by TANKDUEL » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:38 pm

Ok , Keith Park wasn't a general; but does winning the Battle of Britain count?
http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/park.html

Monty

Post by Monty » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:41 pm

Me of course you damn idiots :shock:
If ya can hear em shootin' ya still alive!

stug-u-like

Post by stug-u-like » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:44 pm

Beethoven's right about Alexander. Just read the book 'Eigth Army'. He had to cope with forces constantly being thinned out as they were redeployed to other areas. Even quelling civil unrest in Iraq etc. He did a great job under impossible conditions with poor equipment. Our tanks turned up on ships, hatches open and full of seawater. Churchill couldn't understand why he couldn't attack immediately not appreciating it took time to repair all this damage. Rommel too pulled off brilliant results with tiny forces. As for Park, I agree and put Dowding up there too when Churchill wanted to keep wasting planes in France in 1940 and he refused point blank. As for Bader and the 'Big Wing'......... best forgotten I think.

dandare01

Post by dandare01 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:20 pm

Matt, he said General not "General dogs body" bud :twisted:
Robert

(don't forget I'm still a moderator)

Kingtiger, Panther, Berge Panther, Hetzer, Berge Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV L70, Panzer IV, Flakpanzer IV, Stuart, M16 Half track, 2 x WSC's, 3 Jeeps, 3 x Kubels, 3 x Kettenkrad, SdkfZ 251 250, & Opel Blitz.

TANKDUEL

Post by TANKDUEL » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:29 am

stug-u-like wrote: As for Bader and the 'Big Wing'......... best forgotten I think.
'Tin Legs' Bader, now there's an amazing guy! Interesting controversy too about how he got his replacement leg whilst a POW. The official story is the Germans allowed him to be airdropped one; the unofficial story is he was allowed a 'furlough' back to England in order to have one made/properly fitted.

stug-u-like

Post by stug-u-like » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:06 am

Everything I said about Alexander actually referred to Wavell. I'll get me coat....