An idea for next summer

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

AllanW
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

An idea for next summer

Post by AllanW » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:05 am

I am aware that there is an equivalent to the UK tank club in the Netherlands. Presumably there are also similar clubs elsewhere in Europe - France, Germany etc.

I think that it would be nice to have a European meet of r/c tank and miltary vehicle enthusiasts somewhere (Holland, Belgium or France) where the combination of driving plus ferry crossing would not take too long from the UK. What do other members think ?

I should add that, if this idea is a runner, I am willing to put in some work with the organisation.

warriorant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: An idea for next summer

Post by warriorant » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:39 am

Hi Allan,

What a great idea. :lol: I would be really interested in a European meet with all the museums and battlefields to visit enroute. I'll be willing to help with the organisation if needed.

PS. If we've got a blank firing pistol in our tank would we get through customs :?:

Thanks Antony

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:22 am

Interesting idea.

I suppose the obvious place is Normandy, I say that because there are loads of museum's and places of interest in a relatively small area. Only problem is the ferries are a long crossing, 6 hours ish. Ideally a meet at a big museum would be favourite, somewhere like Samur, that is if you go to Europe otherwise Bovington would suit me fine.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

FUNKER

Post by FUNKER » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:48 am

May I suggest that the best place for a Pan-European very large tank meet, with as many tanks as possible, from all over Europe, would be Kursk.
Patrick

kieren

Post by kieren » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:18 pm

well i said i would be doing the rounds next year, so i guess count me in.

looking at the german forum that contacted us, perhaps we should find out what 'prooving grounds' are established. it would be a pitty to go all that way to meet in a car park.
http://www.ukwmos.org (get on the map)

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:58 pm

Exactly why I suggested a big museum like Samur. I'd get a bit peeved if I trotted all the way to some place and stood around in a car park and nattered.

A proving ground is an idea, but it you were going to do something whay not make a big thing of it. I'm sure if someone were to contact Samur or Munster, anywhere that has a) loads of space and b) something else like the museum to look at , and told them that you wanted to hold a gathering and make something of it, I suppose something like the SW model expo at Bovington but just for model military vehicles, they might just be interested. Sorry I'm not offering.
TwoR's -
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

Fabrice

Post by Fabrice » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi All,

There certainly are several RC tank clubs in Germany, and I have always found them a very enthusiastic and helpful. There are links off http://www.rcpanzer.de site. There have been photos from club meets at Munster before, so it might be a good possibility. Likewise, I have never found Saumur very helpful or forthcoming.

The blankfirers certainly could be an issue given the current climate, and the Germans were (and legally maybe still are) not keen on swastikas even on models. Balken Crosses seem OK though judging by the photos of 2005 Model Masters show.

Insurance would need verification, perhaps Stuart can shed light on that (like you don't have enough to do already, mate!).

my ha'pennyworth,
cheers
Fabrice

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:43 pm

I only said Samur out of selfishness, It's nearer. But I have seen video and pictures from I think Munster of models running around so maybe that would be an idea. Hopefully someone locally will read this and maybe take up the idea. I can't imagine huge numbers would turn up although I could be wrong, but what an excuse, play tanks, see the museum and maybe find time for a swift stien in the bierkeller :wink:
TwoR's -
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

BigPanzer

Post by BigPanzer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi Folks,

I think this is a truly excellent idea. A trip to one of the European museums combined with a get together with some of our counterparts from across the water would be fantastic. The model flyers, boaters and car freaks do it so is it not time us tankers did the same?

Cheers
Peter

Gunsite

Post by Gunsite » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I am member of the association " friends of the Saumur's museum , I can contact our president to submit the idea. The museum is in the town, the ground of the parking is only concrete and macadam, what is not the best for some fun... we need another playground!
I can welcome you on my Shooting range at Montlouis (90 km from Saumur), a claybirds range is fine for our needs.
Montlouis is between Tours and Amboise, in Loire valley. They are some nice entertainment here....
A question : what about RC frequencies?? they are not the same in France or Germany than in UK.

kieren

Post by kieren » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:01 pm

all our stuff runs on 40MHz FM
http://www.ukwmos.org (get on the map)

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Gunsite you party pooper :lol: I forgot about frequencies. The last time I forgot about that was in the USA where they you 27 and I think 72 or 75 mhz. 27 is a waste of space over there as it's the same as CB, interference galore, especially when you are less than 1/2 mile from an interstate. Anyway don't use 27Mhz but I could probably change the TX module, so I'd be alright.

I still think a museum is the best place, although shooting a few clays is ok with me.
TwoR's -
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

dandare01

Post by dandare01 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:31 pm

Leave this green and pleasant land, erm I guess I will need to get a passport, 38yrs without one bah :twisted:
Robert

(don't forget I'm still a moderator)

Kingtiger, Panther, Berge Panther, Hetzer, Berge Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV L70, Panzer IV, Flakpanzer IV, Stuart, M16 Half track, 2 x WSC's, 3 Jeeps, 3 x Kubels, 3 x Kettenkrad, SdkfZ 251 250, & Opel Blitz.

AllanW

Post by AllanW » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:28 pm

I am glad that there seems to be support for the idea. Some comments.

1. Frequencies

I had thought of this. The following site gives details of the allowed frequencies in the different European countries :

http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/artike ... 01eng.html

It looks to me as if it would be no problem to use 40 MHz in Germany and the Netherlands. Only some of the 40 MHz frequencies are permitted in Belgium. For France a frequency change would be required. I had thought that it is simply a question of changing the crystals in both transmitter and receiver. Is this correct ? If so we could even arrange things such that everyone is on a different frequency.

2. Other Clubs

I think that a good start point would be to contact other clubs in Europe to see if they are also interested. We could even suggest to them that, if this one works, we could make it a regular annual or two-yearly event with each country taking a turn to host it.

The clubs that I know of are :

Netherlands :

http://www.twenot.nl/index.html

Germany :

http://www.rcpanzer.de/apportal/main.php (as suggested by Fabrice)

http://www.rc-mm.de/

Are there others ? I am happy to email other clubs if Stuart and club members would like me to. I would be even more happy if someone else wants to do it.

3. I think it is a very good idea to combine visits to museums and battlefields with a r/c model driving event one after the other. That is, arrange visits to museums and rc model driving in seperate but nearby locations.

4. I also think that is a good idea to include some other activities. If we go to the Loire valley I wouldn't mind a visit to one or more of their fabulous wine caves.

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Looking at the frequencies, every where apart from France we would probably be OK without changing crystals. Shame about France being so differnet because it's not a cheap option for me to change to 72mhz. I'd be in favour of floating the idea with some of the other clubs and see what comes up.
TwoR's -
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user