Tiger I late build

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

rivetcounter

Re: Tiger I late build

Post by rivetcounter » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:50 pm

I have now completed all the Zimmerit on the Tiger, this I’m hoping is a reasonable reproduction what I did to make things as realistic as possible was to attach all the stand offs, cable/tool brackets etc then apply the milliput around the parts just like the real thing this takes a little more time but is well worth the effort I have also studied hundreds of pictures of zimmerit on Tigers and have tried to reproduce some of the effects used along with the irregular pattern
SS102 Tigers had on a number of Tigers spare track brackets fitted but as there are no known pictures of 134 then I have to use a little artistic licence and luckily enough there is a picture of 132 with these brackets fitted these where welded to the front driver’s plate each set of brackets will hold 3 spare track links there is also a picture of 131 without so it would seam to be hit and miss.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I have used Armourpax driver/radio operator hatches as I believe they offer the highest level of detail available the only upgrade I have done is to add screws and nuts along with new hinges made of brass and steel this is due to me using a thicker than scale deck, the hatches come in kit form and require a small amount of cleaning up and assembling with resin I used 10BA screws and nuts to attach the hinges one small modification I have done is to cut a channel around the hatch where the moulded seal is this will have a rubber seal glued in after painting to further add with the detail, the rings that the hatches rest on are scratch built to the correct dimensions

All the tool brackets are from Mike Stannard I purchased these around 3 years ago and since then he has upgraded a few of these parts using brass as opposed to white metal one thing that will be updated at a further date is the ends of the gun cleaning rods these are cast from white metal I will replace these with brass turned ends when I get the time to make them, one modification I have done is to replace all the cast wing nuts with working brass items
The side mudguards are from Mark 1 Tanks and are steel these will have a small amount of damage dome before painting, I have also attached a set of scratch built track pin deflector plates
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

dandare01

Post by dandare01 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:51 pm

It's coming along now then Mark, can't wait to see the interior details when it's complete, looks the dogs danglies
Robert

(don't forget I'm still a moderator)

Kingtiger, Panther, Berge Panther, Hetzer, Berge Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV L70, Panzer IV, Flakpanzer IV, Stuart, M16 Half track, 2 x WSC's, 3 Jeeps, 3 x Kubels, 3 x Kettenkrad, SdkfZ 251 250, & Opel Blitz.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Here are a few pictures of the tank with the turret attached for the first time in a few years this still needs a lot of work before it will finally be ready for painting.

This is a new part from Panzer works, it’s the commanders seat made from resin and just needs the seat pads making from milliput.

Gyro Compass
This has totally been scratch built using a scale drawing of the real thing http://www.theresearchsquad.com/drawings.html using alloy, brass and plasticard I have even built the bracket that holds this in place the idea is to give the Tiger a certain amount of through the hatch detail things like the ammunition racks and the stowage for MG ammunition have already been built though the engine compartment detail will come latter probably after the tank is fully painted and running, as you can see from the pictures the compass will have a light fitted this will be connected to the main switch so when the tank is turned on the compass illuminates
And here is the completed item ready to install once the LED has been fitted, I’m sure you will agree I have gone to some trouble just to have a different on/off light instead of the usual car dash light below the grills, first picture is of the Bovington Tiger compass and before any smart arse says the centre of the dials are different colours have a look at the link above

The Crew
Here is a line up of the crew Fey in the autumn oak leaf M44 panzer wrap is on the far right and his gunner is next to him with the binoculars
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Here are a few more shots of the through the hatch detail just so you can see what I mean

Wanne ready for paint
Now that the Wanne is ready for paint after painting the inside the correct colours and installing the ammo racks it’s time to buy the paint
A quick trip to the model shops reminded me that the cost of paint here is a little expensive as is thinners to paint the hull I will need around 18 pots of Tamiya paint costing €3.70 £3.30 or $4.94 each, Rip off Brittan springs to mind so using this company https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/index.php the yellow was ordered costing £1.14 €1.27 $1.70 each plus postage of £6 to Belgium you can work that cost out yourself, I saved a hell of a lot of cash but had to source the thinners here in Belgium which for a 250ml bottle is €8 or £8.94 each comes a little expensive
As I don’t like the shade of XF59 sand being too brown or XF60 being too green I mixed the two together to give a nice shade of yellow
this is a simple mix one bottle each remembering to stir well and add 50% thinners in each pot shake well for 15 minutes then add that to the mix and shake again, painting 1/6 is completely different to 1/35 or 1/16, for people who have been finding it hard to obtain Tamiya paint, thinners and rattle cans in England and have been told various reasons by the reps all it is is the wording on the jar/can over here it’s simple just add a sticker in 1 of 3 languages Dutch, French or German but in England the leftie liberals wont have that and you don’t get your paint.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

KWK088

Post by KWK088 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Very impressing Mark!

Well done! Fey’s Tiger will be a beauty for sure.
Never seen anyone make a 1:6 gyro before, very very nice.

Will this be a static one? Hope not but all that attention to internal detailing makes me wonder.
Always a pleasure to watch your build.
Keep up the good work mate!

Kind regards
Kent
1/6th T34-85, 1/8th Panther Ausf A #424, 1/8th T34-85, 1/6th Hetzer kit, 1/6th Panther G kit, 1/6th Tiger1 Late kit and a 1/6th Panzer IV kit

BigPanzer

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Riv,

It's coming along very nicely. I've been looking at your simulated welds and it's nice to see that you have resisted the temptation to make them over size or too lumpy or pitted. I think poorly done "welding" has spoilt quite a few otherwise top quality models, and by the time yours have a few coats of paint on them they should look pretty good.

Cheers

Peter

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Kent, thank you for your kind comments this is much appreciated the tank will most defiantly be RC I’m using 12V so only require 1 large battery I’m also using Electronize speed controllers which are about 1/3rd of the 4QD speed controllers in size enabling me to use more of the internal space for additions all the switches and charging sockets will be under the rear fan vent’s and the speakers are big enough to go under the radiator vents without interfering with the engine compartment, all will be clear when it’s finished faze 1 I already have a few upgrades for faze 2 including the detailed engine compartment.

Peter, I completely agree with what you say on the real tanks some of these welds are 25-30mm wide and could never be done in a single line though they are done in upto 4 lines and often look like a mess, the other thing that gets up my nose is the insistence on making them look as though they are 10 year old transit vans with all the rust when most of these tanks where only a few months old when they where destroyed
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

KWK088

Post by KWK088 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 pm

rivetcounter wrote:the other thing that gets up my nose is the insistence on making them look as though they are 10 year old transit vans with all the rust when most of these tanks where only a few months old when they where destroyed
Yes, I have notice the same.
In fact the welds was (is) made to be of a high quality material, much better resisting rust then the "common" armor plates.
Just look here at the Lenio Tiger I:

This Tiger has been outdoor since the war and the welds show no marks of rust but the surrounding metal do...

Kind regards
Kent
1/6th T34-85, 1/8th Panther Ausf A #424, 1/8th T34-85, 1/6th Hetzer kit, 1/6th Panther G kit, 1/6th Tiger1 Late kit and a 1/6th Panzer IV kit

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Both Allied and Axis used chrome molly welding rods as opposed to armoured though we still see rust marks coming away from the welds on model tanks, the reason chrome molly was used on the real thing is it flexes more when hit this helps reduce the chance of the weld from cracking, if anything modellers should have bright silver showing through the paint, this Panther has been outside all it’s life and not been painted for at least 7 years
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

stuggy

Post by stuggy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:50 am

This is absolutely fantastic Rivet. Can't wait to see the next installment.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:22 pm

I have done some more internal detail recently just to add to the aesthetics whether it’s worth it in the end I have no idea only time will tell, this is the internal detail of the close defence weapon this can be seen when the escape hatch is open otherwise it will probably never be seen
Apart from giving the tank a number 134 from SS102 I have also assigned a fictitious turret number 251 117 there is absolutely no evidence that this number was ever assigned to 102 let alone Tiger 134 but as the Vimotures Tiger has the turret number 251 114 I felt the likelihood was that this turret number belonged to SS102 this was done free hand and if you look at the ruler the size is 10x2.5mm so will barley be visible
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Here is another part that I have spent a lot of time building again just to add to the through the hatch detail, I have to admit that it’s only about 75% accurate as once installed it will be difficult to see most of the time but I have enjoyed building it all the same, the breach is made from laminated plasticard up to 2mm thick, various parts turned on the lathe from brass and alloy along with a few modified stainless nuts which I still have considerable amount left from my biking days, the recoil mechanism is also buried in the breach hence the loss of detail functionality comes first, as you can see from the pictures it does make a considerable difference, this was just a test for pictures there is weathering to be done plus other detail parts that need to be fitted first

History of SS102
At the beginning of 1944 SS102 was formed in Argentan France taking new recruits from the various formations of the German armed forces and raw recruits the new commander at the beginning of March 44 was SS Sturmbannführer Weiss, at the beginning of April 44 the battalion was moved to Zwolle near Wezep in Holland, where it received quarters in the Oldebroek training area personnel arrived at the battalion throughout April.

On the 21st April 44 the first six Tigers arrived all six Tigers were operational, by the 29th May a further 39 Tigers were delivered, 45 Tiger in total. Of those only 28 were operational on the 1st June 44 training of the crews for the fourth coming invasion went on from morning till night.

On 6th June 44 the last percipients on curses at Paderborn were brought back to Wezep, a ceremonial of the transfer of the tanks to the crews took place on that day after news of the first Normandy landings in the days that followed all tanks were readied for the fourth coming action, on the 11th June 44 the tanks were transported to Normandy.

It wasn’t until the 7th July did the battalion reach the vicinity of Evercy, hill 112 the battalion fought on through the heaviest battles of Normandy against English and Canadian troops in operations Jupiter, Epsom, Goodwood, Bluecoat, Tractable along with the Falaise gap by September 44 all tanks with the exception of 132 were lost in Normandy
http://www.tiif.de/bilder/9s4hkx.jpg
Tiger 132 was commanded by Oscha. Walter Knecht, The driver only known as "Heini" managed to drive it all the way from Normandy back to the Cologne area early in September 1944 and was awarded the EK1 for his achievement.
The rings on the barrel are meant to represent all the kills achieved by the 1.Kompanie the reason for USA is unknown.

Tigers issued to SS102 are from the April May production, there are 2 remaining examples from the battalion one in Saumur and one in Vimiotures known as S and V both are very different this is mainly on the turret’s Tiger S has a single piece turret roof no rain channels in the cupola, 25mm forged loaders hatch with short hinges, monocular gun sight and a large muzzle break that was fitted to a small number of SS102 Tigers, oddly this Tiger also has the x3 Pilzen on the turret roof these where probably retro fitted in the factory during final assembly.
Tiger V has a 2 piece welded 40mm turret roof, rain channels in the cupola the loaders hatch is missing, monocular gun sight, small late muzzle break and also has the 3 pilzen though they are in a slightly different position both tanks have all the April/May features to the chassis, all Tigers had zimmerit most had the large pattern to the turret though a small number had the same pattern as the hull.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

gkwChallenger3

Post by gkwChallenger3 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 am

Mark, absolutley stunning, exellent work there, shame i wont be able to see it in the flesh at Muckleborough for the UKTC event, as i think its time up for me to be honest, so watch the sales and wants space in the not too distant future.First class work there, and a credit to you Lad.
Cheers
Gary

magpies

Post by magpies » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:04 am

Well Rivet what can I say, the dedication to your chosen hobby is inspiring to say the least. It becomes all consuming, well it does for me when the weather is bad, i have spent in excess of 100hrs farting around with our late Tiger1 build, the engine bay, rads, fuel tanks and fans are all complete it's now the smaller detailing like wiring and the pipe work to do next but now seing your work I want to create an entire interior from plasticard ( within reason of course as like your build the rc cubbins must go somewhere )I would like to spend even more time if I could but there is so much else for me to do, I've got to get me bike ready for motocross this weekend, that still gives me butterflies, do you still ride? If you let me have your email address I will send you some photos of our rear end interior so far and see what you think........ cheers Phil.