Tiger I late build

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

rivetcounter

Re: Tiger I late build

Post by rivetcounter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Gaz lad, that’s a shame you wont be at the BBQ with the Challenger, I would have liked to have seen the track ends you have had made.

Phil, I did think about putting the fans beneath the rear grills but had nowhere else to place the charging jack, switches and fuses with the size of these tanks I think there is no reason why there shouldn’t be any internal detail with all the electrics to me this adds to the illusion of it being almost real but each to there own.

I know exactly what you mean about the build-up to a race weekend to me it was more pure excitement and adrenalin during TT fortnight we would go with less than 3-4 hours sleep per day but I was a mechanic and the bikes had to be right though the riders were very well looked after we used to sleep in the paddock tent next to the bikes, I stopped riding 7 years ago after a near fatal accident after that I lost my bottle even on the track and riding at the back of the field just wasn’t for me on the road I was trammelling in traffic and very jumpy so the bikes were sold.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

magpies

Post by magpies » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 am

I lost a few mates over the years in bike crashes on and off the road, had a high speed biggy riding pillon at 17yrs now i'm not made of rubber anymore i am slower but with age and experience comes a level os skill which keeps me in the running, as to riding on the road Cornwall is bloody leathal with losts of biker unfriendly drivers and dangerous juctions just waiting to catch you out, i believe it's all fate so we just got to get on with it, it was'nt my turn to die today but it may be tomorrow,and on a lighter note; you are producing some excellent work dude keep it coming!

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Frankenstein’s experiment

Over the years I have seen peoples builds with what I believe is unrealistic rust which could only have happened over many years outside in the elements so I have decided to conduct a scientific experiment to see what the real possibilities are and forget
all the “my mate say” routine by so called experts, what I have done and I believe this to be the first of it’s kind is take a piece of mild steel 100 x 100mm square and 1mm thick this is normal non galvanised steel, I have primed both sides with red oxide and applied a little yellow in a camouflage pattern I have then applied scratches to the painted surface to represent damage caused by normal ware and tare along with shell splinters ETC this was placed outside on 23/4/10 this would represent one of the oldest delivered Tigers in SS102 this will remain outside until the end of September this would represent the loss of all Tigers in the Abteilung during the Normandy offensive on that date I will show more pictures to see how the steel has weathered after 4 months outside just like the real tanks to show the real extent of corrosion, taking this experiment further I will leave the steel outside for a full year to see the extent of corrosion after that period, the outcome of this experiment to me will show the true extent of corrosion if other people wish to join this experiment then this would be more than welcome.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

jagdpanther

Post by jagdpanther » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Sorry to shoot you down on this one Mark , but firstly modern day mild steel hasnt got the same composition as steel plate made at the time of the war, there is a big difference between tin plate , and steel plate . Secondly the weather pattern has changed considerably over the last 70 odd years , and thirdly, 2 items does not constitute an experiment .

If a modeller wants to rust his pride and joy , who are we to say it is wrong , after all , its his model and he can do what he like with it .

I
1/6th Jagdpanther, various 1/6th motorcycles,1/6th mercedes staff car

Was zur Hölle war, dass

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Dave, my friend yes you are right if I want to do this properly I should use some German WWII spec armour as it doesn’t rust as fast as mild steel with the alloys mixed to make armour the only problem with that is after scouring e-bay for some time I couldn’t find any armour for sale hence the use of mild steel and yes you are right again I cant recreate the same weather pattern for 1944 hence why I’m going to leave it out for a year and at the end of the day it’s just a bit of harmless fun that the PC guys cant really get upset about, and yes if you want to cover your tank completely in rust why not, don’t forget a large number of the modelling Guru’s out there have absolutely no engineering background yet dictate how to weather a model, my aim is to see what the real possibilities are and if I can find a thick piece of steel I will do the same experiment with that
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

jagdpanther

Post by jagdpanther » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Mark , i think you will find that WW 2 armour plate would be quite inferior to modern mild steel, if you think about the shortages in wartime , you will find that all sorts of things went into steel making including bedsteads , and roller skates. Also the art of steel making wasnt what it is today .

As you say , it will be interesting to see the outcome.
1/6th Jagdpanther, various 1/6th motorcycles,1/6th mercedes staff car

Was zur Hölle war, dass

magpies

Post by magpies » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:42 am

As regards to the rusting of various steel,castings and rolled plate, you would need to consider all the fittings such as storage bins brackets nuts and bolts all corroding at various rates and staining the surounding painted and unpainted areas this is also accelerated by cordite residue salt water and to a greater extent heat/burning etc, I have 2 exhaust shrouds from a Armortek Tiger1 which have shrapnel and heat damage and have been exposed to the elements for nearly two years , they have rusted nicely and are quite different to any modellers weathering I have ever seen, I will post some pics as soon as I am able (moan) Rivet if you scorch a corner of your test piece you will notice that the very fast rust developing will be a brighter orange/brown than normal weathering this can be at times very useful, and as usual you have opened a can of worms! Good thread.

Chieftain 900

Post by Chieftain 900 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 am

having spent yesterday crawling over Castlemartin ranges i can confirm thet theo lny shiny bit on mosy of the hulks is the weld line, total orange rust tank though.
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Thu May 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Whilst studying the few known pictures of SS102 Tigers one question came to mind “did this unit paint beneath the side mud guards” there are many pictures of Tigers from various different units that either did or did not paint beneath the side mud guards this also causes some debate amongst modellers some believe that the zimmerit stopped below the side mudguards and how wrong they are, I already knew of 1 picture that could answer this question this was of Tiger 231 Ostuf. Loritz this is of the right side after it was knocked out, the last rear section is missing this is also seen missing on the way to the Normandy front before the tank was involved in action, this clearly shows the camouflage pattern beneath where the side mud guard should be the front two sections are also missing in this picture but a fire has burnt away all the zimmerit and no pattern can be seen there are no other pictures that can confirm camouflage beneath the side mud guards however there are pictures from 103 in Normandy where the maintenance unit are repainting Tiger II 100 without the side guards attached another picture shows them replacing these are painting them so for my Tiger the paint will be below the side guards not that it will be seen most of the time, so after 3 weeks of painting using all the latest techniques the Tiger begins to take shape, many thanks to Lee from “Newthorp Models” who lent me the stencils for the numbers and the Balkan cross during a quick trip back to Nottingham, there is still a lot more to do with the paint work though there will not be any of the heavy rusting that is seen on some models, the next picture with a bit of luck will be outside in the garden.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

magpies

Post by magpies » Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Rivet an't got nothin to say sept nice paint job, i just wanted to tip the counter to 4000 hits cheers Phil

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sun May 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Here are a few sots of the completed cupola complete with Armourpax periscopes on the outside they are from the Stug IV and the inside they are from the Panther set, I have also scratch built the opening mechanism this adds depth to the detail

Also a few shots of the painted breach again this helps make the Tiger look more like a real tank as opposed to an RC model

This is the completed Machine gun mount with gurt sacks I built this a few month’s back, apart from the detail it had to be functional this is almost ready but has a few glitches this will be ironed out at a later date

Through the hatch detail of the radio operators position
And the drivers position complete with illuminated gyro compass this is connected to the ON/OFF switch turn the tank on and the compass illuminates this acts an idiot light I prefer an idiot light with purpose ass opposed to a car dash light below the engine grills
And some shots from the inside of the Tiger
Hopefully the next shots will be of the completed Tiger well stage 1 completed
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

magpies

Post by magpies » Sun May 23, 2010 6:01 pm

Pretty cool, makes me wanna climb inside and av a fiddle, I've picked up one of your cupolas, you got some dry brushing to do Rrivet.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Here is a short film I shot this afternoon complete with its new “Wiggy Tonics” smoker

And a few black and white pictures some deliberately slightly blared
Fey taking command of his Tiger
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

magpies

Post by magpies » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 am

Very nice Rivet, do you know what really stands out and makes all the difference.............................the correct pattern tracks.
Now all you got to do is run it and get it covered in sh-t!

KWK088

Post by KWK088 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Very, very nice Rivet!

Stunning looking end result, outstanding and for sure the best looking Late Tiger 1 outside the Armortek family (and better then many from the A-family as well)
I am sure you now find all those hour well spend and so do I.

The rear of it is the most impressing, how on earth did you create the burnt/rusted surface on the exhaust guards?
The bubbling paint looks stunning.
Also refreshing to see a Late Tiger 1 with chevron tracks.

Well what shall you do with your spare time now?
Can we see you among as Pantherpervs? ;)

Kind regards
Kent
1/6th T34-85, 1/8th Panther Ausf A #424, 1/8th T34-85, 1/6th Hetzer kit, 1/6th Panther G kit, 1/6th Tiger1 Late kit and a 1/6th Panzer IV kit