Tiger I late build

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

BigPanzer

Re: Tiger I late build

Post by BigPanzer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 am

Hi,

I can follow Rivs thinking here - are some of our models over weathered/rusted? Bear in mind that the life in the field for many tanks was short before they were shot to bits, how much rust would be coming through the paint?

I was thinking particularly of the Panther "Cuckoo" There was a superb conversion done on a Tamiya Panther that was on here a couple of years ago. A lovely conversion, but rusty as an old Ford. This tank was painted in Olive Drab in (about) October 44 and ended its short but active life with the Coldstream Guards in (about) Feb 45. It would have been dirty and muddy certainly, and no doubt scarred in places, but how much rust would be coming through a thick coat of Olive drab in such a short time? Whilst I admire the skills of the tankers who weather their models so well, is it being over done?

This is not a critisism, it is a search for answers. How rusty was the average tank after (say) 3 months in the field?

Comments please, and do feel free to shoot me down in flames!

Peter

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:02 am

Steel will begin to corrode the minute it is exposed to air, hence the need for car restorers to get a primer coat on immediately after media blasting.
I would guess that significant rusting could appear on a tank over a short period of time in areas where the paint had been chipped or scratched and, given tanks do not get the love and attention of a classic car, such damage whilst significant would be essentially, superficial.
I would be extreemly surprised to see extensive bubbles to paint from underside rust working itself through one side of the steel to the other, this would take significant time, in the case of a car with very thin steel, it can take a couple of years.

Jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Phil, thanks for the comments and yes the tracks really do make all the difference, there are plenty of pictures of early Tigers with these tracks and it wouldn’t take much the alter dies to make late tracks.

Kent, I’m glad you like the Tiger so far but this is only the first stage I have more internal detail to add along with the engine compartment plus some alterations to the smokers and parts already fitted, though for the time being there wont be anything done.
The exhaust shields are not that difficult to do but it does take 2-3 weeks.
Next on the list is an RC Scwimmwagen I have had the kit for over a year now then I’m unsure I have been looking at the PzIV H, Panther :handgestures-thumbupright: or another Tiger :o these are the main tanks I’m interested in though it may have to wait a few weeks till we find out if we are staying here or going back to England in Febuary.

Peter, how rusty was the T34 at Muckleborough that stood in the yard for 2 years and the Churchill at the gate hasn’t been painted for many years perhaps Robert could take some pictures of the Churchill and ask Simon when it was last painted when he returns soon.

Here are some pictures I didn’t have time to host before the BBQ, heat shields before and after weathering
The interior with everything in its final place the speed controllers are accessible through the turret ring
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

BigPanzer

Post by BigPanzer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi Riv,

They're looking good!

If I could make one comment - last time I was looking at 131 at Bovvy, (quite some time ago) I noticed that the paint on the heat shields was starting to burn and go brown from the exhaust heat. Bear in mind that 131 is run only once in a blue moon and even then they don't do it for long enough to let the motor reach proper working temperature, I would guess that there would be substantial discolouring and bubbling on the paint.

Just a small point!

Peter

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Had some spare time today so shot a bit of film with the Tiger in the back garden

Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

mikes

Post by mikes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Certainly looks very tidy and ordered inside, wish i could say the same about my tanks!
Is that all the speed controllers are? just those two little black boxes? i always imagined them being a lot bigger than that after seeing a few other pictures of them a while back! :confusion-confused:
Paint job also looks absolutely fantastic and the detail inside is mind blowing, im sure a lot of people really do not appreciate or realise the amount of effort some people go through.

Mike.
www.onesixthmike.kk5.org

Tamiya 1/16 Pershing, Scratch Building 1/6 T-34 85.

olly weston

Post by olly weston » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Rivet,

Just a quick question regarding your motors. They look almost identical to mine, but its looks like you’ve managed to pair them. On my set, it looks like I have two lefties (if that makes any sense). How did you manage to achieve the pair, or were they bought like that?

Olly
1/6th Pz 11 Running, but not 100% finished. 1/6th Panther being built very very slowly. Based On a Panther from the LSSAH Division during heavy fighting in the Ardennes. Peipers unit was one of the elite

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Mikes, thanks for the comments, I spent a bit of time making sure the wires where long enough to be installed neat and out of the way this makes things easier in the long turn, in between the Electronize speed controllers there is a small 25x25 M-Troniks speed controller this will give you an idea of the actual size though compared to 4QD’s they are small.

Olly, forgive the delay in answering, I think you are right I do appear to have a left and right as both gearboxes are facing forwards but I don’t think it will cause any problems just one will have a slightly longer chain, I replaced the lower chassis for a new one with all the chain drives installed.

I’ve had these rounds for a while I just haven’t got around to painting and adding the decals, the rounds are from Panzerwerk http://panzerwerk.com/ (they are busy at the moment give it a week or two and the site will be open again, Steve wont continuously take orders when he’s behind this is a good sign) they are the Tiger I 88mm L56 High Explosive and Antitank rounds usually they come in threes one of each and a spent casing I asked for 6 of each rounds and 1 spent casing this is in the gun catch inside the turret, they are made of resin and all came bubble free all I had to do was turn the ends down removing the pour plugs. the decals came from Mike Stannard, I must admit that I did absolutely no research on the rounds I just used Mike Stannard’s reference which will be accurate though there will probably be a few variations depending on factory production and possibly date, the Germans used steel in a vast amount of there casings as brass was in short supply, spent casings where also reused, the HE rounds will be installed inside the Tiger at the side of the driver in the forward ammunition locker I will take more pictures when they are installed.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Just a few pictures of the HE rounds in the forward ammunition locker I have also added a light dusting to the white paint tanks like any other military vehicle would get dirty inside as well as outside.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

stuggy

Post by stuggy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:32 am

Great interior shots - very atmospheric. I probably knew in the back of my mind but it suddenly dawned on me how the driver sat inches away from HE. I know nobody is far away from them in a tank but you could do without the reminder next to your head.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Maybach HL230 Engine
http://www.uktank.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5728

This is a project that I have had in mind ever since these radio sets from Panzerworks came available however they had to wait until I had enough spare time to justify installing them another thing I wanted was the drivers instrument panel though this had to be scratch built along with the transmition housing remember this is a working model and there are two large motors in front of the trasmition, so not all the detail can be done.
I ordered the radio sets in kit form as there was a modification I had to have more of this latter so I ordered 10W,S.c transmitter and x2 UKw.E.e receivers along with the intercom set http://www.panzerwerk.com//index.php?pa ... t&Itemid=1 as usual these arrived quickly and the detail is very good these were cleaned up painted and assembled along with a LED in each radio to illuminate the dials
And with the LED’s at night
There is still a lot of work to be done to the radios this will be done when I get more spare time along with more detail around the driver and radio operators’ position the seats will also be added when time permits along with more detail in the turret
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

dandare01

Post by dandare01 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Le Riv you've done it again, it just gets better, stunning :mrgreen:
Robert

(don't forget I'm still a moderator)

Kingtiger, Panther, Berge Panther, Hetzer, Berge Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV L70, Panzer IV, Flakpanzer IV, Stuart, M16 Half track, 2 x WSC's, 3 Jeeps, 3 x Kubels, 3 x Kettenkrad, SdkfZ 251 250, & Opel Blitz.

[ICE]monkey

Post by [ICE]monkey » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 pm

great work Le Riv, if you keep raising the bar we wont be able to reach it ;)
cliff
blitzkrieg panzer IV , mark 1 tiger II
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place

BigPanzer

Post by BigPanzer » Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 am

Sensational!

Peter

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed May 11, 2011 8:15 am

Le Riv

You've just got too much time on your hands! Outstanding, as always :-)

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!