Tamiya Sherman fault,can anyone help?

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

clive

Tamiya Sherman fault,can anyone help?

Post by clive » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:41 pm

Hi all
I could do with some ideas regarding a Tamiya Sherman full option, The Tank is fully built now but unfortunatly i seem to have lost the gun fire, main gun and machine gun, no flashing and no sound/recoil from the main gun, every thing else seems to work fine, all the cables are connected correctly i have tried resetting the unit to default setting with no improvement and i have just about run out of ideas, i am using a futaba skysport4 tranny. The annouying thing is that when i first put the dmd and mfo2 units in the tank i tried the sounds and they all worked fine, but now everythings connected they dont work, i have tried unconnecting things one at a time to see if i can get the sound back but still nothing, so if anyone can help i would be very greatfull. :cry: :cry:

ARMORNUT

Post by ARMORNUT » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:07 pm

Have you checked the charge in the battery? I hate to ask that, cause there is not a way to ask it with out sounding like I think you are stupid..I DON'T. It just sounds like you have checked everything else, and I thought maybe you may have overlooked that..I have done it before :oops:. I have seen the Sherman be able to move, without sound, due to a low battery before as well :lol:

Armornut

clive

Post by clive » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:59 pm

Hi armornut
Thanks for the reply, and yes i have tried it with a fully charged battery at first i thought the same as you, it must be the battery but it's got me beat at the moment, I've even tried the self diagnostic to no avail, i'm going to try swopping the channels around next just to see if i can get the sound back.
Cheers,
Clive.

TANKDUEL

Post by TANKDUEL » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:40 am

If it does all the right stuff during self check,(does it shoot/flash with sound etc during self check?)it must be a transmitter programming problem,were all trim levers at neutral (centred)when you programmed in the stick movements?That's a must.

But the sound has me beat,maybe there is a loose connection to the MF with the battery y connector (try 2 batts) or maybe a problem with the comm cable between the DMD /MF units.
Neville

clive

Post by clive » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:22 am

Thanks Neville
I have tried the diagnostic and the lights flash ie head lights[ which work fine] and the main gun flashes but no sound, and the machine gun does not flash or make any sound all the engine sounds inc turret turn and gun elevation/depression work ok, i have tried programing the transmitter several times with all the trim levers at central position it does'nt make any difference, i'll try it again and check the battery connections, failing that wheres the best place to get the units checked or repair'ed.
Cheers,
Clive.

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:56 pm

Hi Clive,

On page 6 of your Sherman hymn book can be seen the two units, MF-02 and T-o5. The T-05 controls the mechanical functions of the tank and the MF-02 is connected by a link(shown on page 13-operation 14) which gives the appropriate sound for the action selected. Disconnect the link and according to your previous statements(battery charged etc.) check the action of the T-05 which should be ok. Check the battery supply to the MF-02 and the link connections--if no sound occurs(assuming of course that the volume is turned up and the speaker is good) then you have a dodgy MF-02 and need to speak to someone at the Hobby Company Ltd. Unit B, Chiltern Trading Estate, Grovebury Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 4TU
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mel

clive

Post by clive » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:05 pm

Hi all
Thanks again for all the info, i have tried everything now and it still did'nt work upuntill about an hour ago and i finally got it working.
I must be stupid but i missed the very small line in the manual which refers to using this model with a four channel tranny, i just assumed it worked the same as for two channel so i plugged the cables into the reciever as stated thinking that the 3rd and 4th channel would default to the left hand stick which they did and then i pressed the set button and set it up as per manuel, it was'nt untill i went through the instructions with a fine tooth comb that i noticed a small line saying that if i wanted to use four channel i would need to visit the Tamiya website for instructions on the new setup procedure, so needless to say it now works as it should.
Am i the only one to make this mistake i think Tamiya could have put atleast a loose note in with the manual to cover this new procedure.
I've bought a tamiya Pershing that i'm going to start building next so i hope theres no more suprises there.
Many Thanks all.
Clive.

ARMORNUT

Post by ARMORNUT » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:17 pm

Good to hear you got it going. On the Pershing, don't forget to read the line about the throttle having to be messed with before the tank moves. It has a function where you can rev the motor, but the tank goes no where; some (me included) took a while to figure that out. To going back to the instructions to get it :oops:

Tank on,
Armornut

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:11 pm

If you find that the tank has difficulty getting along the ground, you'd better check if you've put the tracks on!! :wink:

Glad you got there in the end.

Cheers

Mel

clive

Post by clive » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:10 pm

Hi mel
so thats why it did'nt move far??? while we're on the sherman subject i could do with a replacment led for the machine gun [ dropped it], so does anyone know if there is an easily obtainable item from Maplins or the like and what voltage it runs on.
Cheers.
Clive.