Transmitters

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

jdflute
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Transmitters

Post by jdflute » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:52 am

Guys,
Now that we all have fancy multiple channel transmitters I would be interested to hear how people set them up.
The obvious 1-4 channels for L/R, Fwd/Bkwd, Turret turn/gun elevation is personal preference but what about the remaining 3 or 4 channels?
I have a total of eight channels available but for the life of me my setup is more guess work than anything else.

Channel 5 is gyro sensitivity - still trying to work that one out
Channel 6 is using a trim pot for cannon and machine gun fire
Channel 7 uses the gear switch for the rear door
Channel 8 uses another switch for the headlights

I have the choice of heli, glider or aircraft settings, but have chosen aircraft since heli is so interconnected that I can't seem to get independent use of the last four channels.
Appreciate any help you all might give.

Jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Transmitters

Post by Humpy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 am

Speaking for myself James, I use another proportional channel to control the sounds (ie Benedini) and others for lights and smoke fan control (although going away from this idea as using a Benedini smoke controller board to run the fans)

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

jdflute
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jdflute » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:13 am

Seriously considering installing open source firmware on the transmitter so that I can completely reconfigure all the switches, rather than make do with the existing options for heli or plane.

Jd

NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Vixen V8

Post by Vixen V8 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi JD
Open sorce software for transmitters!!! That sounds very, very interesting.
Where do you find the open sorce software?
Is the a web-forum which deals with this stuff.
Is there software for the Futada transmitters?
Oh, so many questions !!!!

Cheers

Mike

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 am

Hi Mike,
Believe it or not, it all started with me trying to download an xbox game and falling foul of Microsoft's stupid regional policies :evil: . I looked around for a solution and found the dd-wrt project that gives a $50 router the functionality of a unit ten times the price, replacing stock with linux firmware.
When I began to configure the Turnigy transmitter, I found the lack of decent instructions (pigeon English at its best) a drawback and although it could do everything I wanted to do, I wasn't happy with the way I was limited in the setup to certain configurations.
Having successfully changed the firmware on my router, I was intrigued by another linux firmware project called Er9X (catchy name :D ) http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide and using a freeware configuration programme called eePe http://code.google.com/p/eepe/ I was able to emulate a new tailor made configuration.
Now there is quite a bit of reading and playing around to be done, but the good thing is that you can safely mess around in the virtual world before having to flash the transmitter (and of course only if you feel comfortable doing so).
The other really nice thing about this is that for $45 a guy in Canada is making backlights for the transmitters with built in usb programme boards which makes the whole flashing process easy as taking a p! (I await the puerile schoolboy humour with baited breath) :lol:
The new firmware is sooooooo configurable, it's unreal! For starters I can extend the throw and speed of the servos on any of the nine channels (or more), assign any switch, potentiometer or stick in any way I like, as well as programme logic rules for combinations of movements!
I don't know if there is a Futaba project but I wouldn't be surprised if there was.
Jd

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 am

I thought I should give you some screen shots of the emulator to show how I plan on setting up the transmitter

So in a nutshell I have bog standard settings on Channels 1 to 4

On the right -
The gyro is set up on channel 5 with the gear switch turning the gyro from normal mode to heading lock mode and pot number 3 allowing for additional trim
On Channel 6 the three position ID0/1/2 switch controls cannon and machine gun fire

On the left -
On channel 7 the Aileron switch is configured to open and close the rear doors at a slowed rate and extended throw
On channel 8 the Elevator switch is configured to open and close the headlights at a slowed rate and extended throw
The Throttle switch is configured to turn the transmitter's backlight on and off

That leaves me with the rudder switch and two pots (1&2) unused

This second shot shows the limit adjustment available

All of it is set up from drop down and check boxes and is pretty easy when you get the hang of it, and you can simulate the setup to see how it works. Sweet!! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
This is all pretty simple stuff, what the helicopter boys are programming is way above my payscale :o
Jd

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 am

You clever old stick James :) Keep us posted how it all goes, very interesting...

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Vixen V8

Post by Vixen V8 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 am

Hello James,

Thanks for the all that stuff about hacking the Turnigy firmware. It will be most usefull.
As you say, there is a lot to read and learn, but the rewards are there. All those lovely extra proportional chanels
I did another search for Futaba hacks but other than DIY 2.4 Ghz mods, I still cannot find much.
Turnigy transmitters can be bought at give away prices. so there is not a lot of cash at risk.
So that is probably the way to go.
The positive side is that if I fry the Turnigy, I still have the Futaba. If I fried the Futaba I would have nothing

Cheers

Mike

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm

The parts are now available and should be shipped out tomorrow. With any luck I should have the new board within a couple of weeks and I can get on with a custom firmware update. WooHoo! :D :D
Jd

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 am

The board arrived in the post today, looks like I am going to be busy tonight!

Jd

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Sun May 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Well it arrived and I installed it with ease, following the instructions on the website.

I had to trim a little plastic to push the usb socket through the gap in the battery bay

But it slotted in perfectly once finished.

The it was over to the computer where the fun began.
The biggest problem I had was trying to get the USBasp drivers to install, but after some hunting (GIT) I found a simple way aroung the problem and it all worked seamlessly.
For anyone trying this and having trouble with windows drivers here is the link
http://www.protostack.com/blog/2011/05/ ... vista-x64/

After that I followed a YouTube video that took me through the process from beginning to end, just ignore the hardware install at the beginnning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwVpabm ... re=related

And Voila!

Jd

saracen

Post by saracen » Mon May 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Looks like you're up and running :D

I'm looking forward to the time that they get telemetry into the lower end transmitter/receiver systems.

It's bad for a pilot to run out of LiPo power when in the air but at least he can glide it home.

Run a 150kg tank out of juice and you have to de-track it and push the bl**dy thing back to the car :roll:

Adrian.

saracen

Post by saracen » Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 pm

> The new firmware is sooooooo configurable, it's unreal

When you get down to it, the transmitter hardware is just a bunch of variable resistors and switches.

It's how it handles them, mixes them together etc to make a helicopter stable or whatever is the clever part, which is where customer firmware can be useful for a hobby such as this, where mixes etc aren't as necessary. Unless of course you like to single stick, which this system should make a piece of cake for any model.

Adrian.

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Wed May 23, 2012 4:50 am

JD I have one of those sets comming to me (newer version I think)
Smart playing around in the white mans magic arena... Good on ya chief!

What are the chances of getting a "community" TANK version going for download for those transmitters?
Personally it drives me nuts when I have to choose either Heli, Glider or Plane for my Tx :-(

Cheers

Brett
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Wed May 23, 2012 6:39 am

I would agree with you there Bret, it was the frustration with having to use a heli set up that led me down this route.
The nice thing for me is that now I can assign whatever switch I like to do what ever task I choose. What I haven't seen yet is whether I can change the names, which would be really nice. I suspect that is a code issue and I would have to pass that one on to programmers on the er9x forum.
I did however do this...

The smartie pants programmer/backlight is more expensive than a programmer bought off ebay (as shown in the youtube video) but it has the added advantage of no solder installation as well as a backlight system for the lcd screen.
When I get time I'll post some questions for the programmers and see how difficult it would be to assign new names to the individual controls.
The other cool feature is that I can have extended servo movement/ reverse / slow on any and all channels without the need for additional gadgets in the tank. TX RX and Servos, that's all folks!

Jd