BattleTrax 1/10 scale Tanks

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Old Git

BattleTrax 1/10 scale Tanks

Post by Old Git » Thu May 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Just received a copy of this month's Military Modelling and found a 2 page advert for Battletrax (a UK company offering 1/10th scale metal tanks). They claim to have a combat system for their tanks to allow simulated combat over a 200 metre range and us GPS tech. Anyone hear of them? They appear to have some funds behind them and their first tank looks like the ubiquitous Tiger (why do they always build Tigers!!!)

They appear to be based out of Northampton and IIRC that's were Armortek started, any chance they're related to Armortek's original business partner?

http://www.battletrax.co.uk/
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." Charlton Heston

Come say hello at OneSixth UK - http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum

saracen

Re: BattleTrax 1/10 scale Tanks

Post by saracen » Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 pm

> They appear to be based out of Northampton and IIRC that's were Armortek started, any chance they're related to Armortek's original business partner?

Yep, the BattleTrax site is registered to Jon Spalding.

As Paul has already gotten his mitts on one, I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on how it went together, overall accuracy, that sort of thing. Looks to be more cast brass than machined parts for the detail.

Personally, at £2500, I can't see them tempting many of the 1/16th modellers up to 1/10th. I think it's too big a step up from the £400 - £500 pound mark of the Heng Longs etc.

I loved the Modelworks 1/10th Tiger I had for a while, and it's certainly a scale which is more storage and handling friendly than 1/6th.

Adrian

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu May 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Well if it is Jon Spalding I think that's enough to make me give it a pass (not that I was ever in the market for that scale of Tank). Still I have memories of buying the first Armortek Tiger and the falsehoods I was fed by Jon Spalding about when I'd get my tank and how it would perform!

I rather suspect that this venture is destined to fail and for the simple fact that they are trying to start from scratch in launching a whole new scale, including figures and buildings etc. Who do they think will buy all this stuff? Whoever buys the first tank will have to hold on and hope that eventually they also produce a 1/10th 'enemy' tank with which to do battle. But, uh no they've already laid down the plans for the first three tanks and an AT gun...all German! I'm not sure they've thought this one through. At the very least they ought to have a Sherman Firefly and a Tiger I available at the same time otherwise some guy is going to be driving a Tiger 1 around a paddock for the next two years awaiting the development of an enemy tank with which to do battle, with no guarantee that the venture is going to be successful.

If they were really smart they'd have offered the GPS combat system as an add-on to Armortek and 1/16th scale tanks first and then, when it proved itself, moved to releasing their own tanks. As it stands they're asking for a huge leap of faith here! Good luck to them, but I really don't see it taking off and as you say who's going to pay nearly £3K for a new unproven model, in a whole new scale, when they can get a fairly decent 1/16th tank from Heng Long!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." Charlton Heston

Come say hello at OneSixth UK - http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 am

There is nothing new about 1/10 scale it’s been around far longer than 1/6 or even 1/8 scale having said that in England it’s a very rare scale but in Germany there are a few around they are even still produced, Jerry when he passes this way will give you all the history he’s been into this scale for a long time.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi fellas.

As Paul has already gotten his mitts on one, I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on how it went together, overall accuracy, that sort of thing. Looks to be more cast brass than machined parts for the detail.

I am afraid I cant really say very much on the subject ... its a very nice looking model drives well and has a good weight for its size so there is no bouncing about like a plastic model, I did not build this model so again cannot comment but it seemed to be put together very well , but I only painted it ... it is a good bit smaller than the Modelworks Tiger which was 1/8 not 1/10.
Cheers Paul.

JerryCarducci

Post by JerryCarducci » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:59 am

I'll Second what Rivetcounter said about 1/10 scale- it's far from new. In Germany and in Japan to a lesser extent it has been used for RC armor for quite some time. Like I said over in RCU when Bandai and Tamiya were releasing their first 1/15 and 1/16 models 1/10 armor had already been around a while.
I bought my first 1/10 scale Panther from Maier in 1976-7, he had been making them since the early 1970s. Tamiya released their Sherman in 1974???

I do agree they are making a stretch assuming (hoping) 1/10 will supplant 1/16 any more than 1/6 did. If other makers, especially after market
makers ( photo etch, details, figures and the like) catch the fever then perhaps for newcomers to the hobby 1/10 might be perfect. I think more choices are never bad. For me 1/6 is far too large; I'm over taxed or rather my small home is by the tanks I have in 1/10 and 1/16; I could never fit 1/6 scale.

I'm obviously a supporter of 1/10 scale so I hope they succeed but I also agree with Old Git that an adversary planned early on would really have been a plus. A WWII British tank a sorely absent in 1/10 scale, German and to a lesser degree Russian having been well represented in 1/10. I agree a Firefly would have been killer and could have capitalized on the Fury interest overflow to boot... Agreed their game plan doesn't appear to have been well thought out. Perhaps with the subsequent models only in the planning stage they could reconsider their next effort.

"some guy is going to be driving a Tiger 1 around a paddock for the next two years awaiting the development of an enemy tank "

Now that just sounds sad! Poor lonely Tiger!

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/
Be wary of the self made man... many tend to worship their creator.

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:03 pm

I had a look at the Battletrax Tiger at this years Tank Fest and was impressed with the quality of the model, must say Paul's paint job really did the tank proud.
Jon Spalding informed me that the tank was produced in China and the backing was from a company making steam locos that has used the Chinese manufactures for some time.
Hopefully they succeed as the more choice we have the better.
Regards
Steve
Armortek Late Tiger 1, Stuart, Kettenkrad

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:07 pm

I had a look at this at the model engineering exhibition in London. Initial impression was it looked OK. On closer inspection there were loads of errors in the detail which may now have been resolved. It is definitely being fronted by Jon Spalding originally from Winsom and then Armortek before Mark and Gill took control of the company. It's an ambitious idea given that it's a bit late to come to the party and with a scale in between 1/16th and 1/6th, which are possibly the most popular scales. I'm not in the market for a anything that size, but I wouldn't be buying one anyway.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

Challenger

Post by Challenger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:26 pm

One for the album
I think this is Jon Spalding and the brass tracked Winson Tiger1 1/8 prototype with a starry eyed insert of me 1999 at Castle Donington Expo. A charming gentleman, what fun we had with that one.
In some respects we have to thank him I suppose for the GB based all metal model large scale tanks that we all enjoy today. It allowed the average Joe with limited skills and equipment to own some of the finest large scale tank models in the world. Dare I say, better than museum quality models.