New In every regard?Introduction

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

tiger1

New In every regard?Introduction

Post by tiger1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:47 pm

:D Hello to Everyone on the UKTank Forum.

I am very excited about joining you all,and I have lots of questions :roll:

I am not only new to this Forum,but also to the world of Large Scale RC Model Tanks
Some folk may think me mad to be even contemplating such a venture,and they may be right :o But since discovering the world of Large Scale Tanks I have been focused like never before on these truly wonderful works of art!

The reason for any residual skepticism re my choice of hobbies,relates both to my age but mostly to my very poor state of health,which leaves me pretty much restricted as to what I can do or where I can go e.t.c.so lifting massive tanks is really not a great option but I am lucky to have a supportive wife, and a brother in law who at the very least will build for me a method of getting said tank on to trolly to be put away the trolly doubling as work bench also so no need to lift off and should I require access to awkward part of vehicle he will help.but I do not like asking him to much

We have a massive garden and easy access to the shed/house so no probs there really.I have sort of set my heart on 1/8th at the very least and 1/6th if at all possible, the latter is doubtful but you never know. :?:

I would want/Like all the bells and whistles on what ever tank I end with , IE
.SMOKE
.BEST SOUND MODULE
.LIGHTS
.RECOIL (NOT NECESSARILY FIRING?)
:LOTS OF EXTERIOR DETAIL
:PAINTED & WEATHERED.
:MACHINE GUN (WORKING) :shock:

I think you will all grasp what I am planning/intending?
I am very familiar with the top Tank guys products rc Tanks ru/Mark 1
and the other top builders.

Now I would dearly love to buy one of the top products for many reasons I myself can come up with and no doubt many reasons you experts will no doubt advice...But I fear my pocket will not quite stretch to a new+ bells and whistles
but I see that in China their are one or two companies making descent if not perfect(according to reviews) 1/6&1/8 tanks
I am thinking mainly of FUNJAN/VANTEX & CHUNWAI

The alternative of course is to buy a Top Class pre owned Model and this could be the better option should a tank with top spec become available and can be shipped to Norway :?: Regrettably Norway is not in the EU so we still pay crazy import duties amounting :o to 35% so I have to be careful or get at least 35% off a tank and maybe more to cover some of the freight costs??

Anyway that's about it for my opening salvo,hope I have not disgraced myself with my lack of knowledge I have been fast tracking my learning curve as time is very precious to me,Hope to hear from some of you...

best wishes Steve :D

rivetcounter

Re: New In every regard?Introduction

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Steve,
If you are looking for a fully detailed tank from Russia supplied by Big tanks then these tend to be very rare and sell in the region of £5000 depending on detail and what has been done to the model if you want a standard version this could sell for as little as f you are looking for a fully detailed tank from Russia supplied by Big tanks then these tend to be very rare and sell in the region of £5000 depending on detail and what has been done to the model if you want a standard version this could sell for as little as £2000 but will probably need work, Armortek would start at £3000 upwards depending again on what has been done.
The Chinese Vantex models are out there but they are few and far between personally I have never seen one but I do know that they will require a lot of detail work, the Tiger from Vantex is truly awful and missing a lot of detail.
One thing you have to consider is weight, you say you are not in the best of health 1/6 scale models can’t be picked up be one person you will require ramps and a firm table to work on 1/8 scale could also be a struggle for you, have you considered 1/16 scale.
The club also has a Facebook page you will get a faster response there.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

tiger1

Post by tiger1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 pm

:D Hello
Very good to hear from you,I was starting to think I had offended the membership in someway :oops:
I thank you very much for your thoughts which are appreciated.
1/6th is the max I will go for and I am looking at a tank from Russia.
Yes they are big and I will have to have help sometimes (my brother in law lives upstairs)

I looked at the Chunwai and could see they were not the most detailed models and I could not do any upgrading or detailed work myself, so will require the tank fully finished.1/16th would be the way forward normally(sensibly) but I am sort of set on 1/6th and I will only ever have the one tank which will see me out.

If you have further thoughts or anything please get in touch

all the best Steve :D

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Steve
All I can sugest is to keep an eye out on the forum or on ebay try .co.uk or .de or .be or .fr or .nl all will come up with slightly different auctions also have a look at Armortek they have a sales section, no matter where you search sometime 1/6 models are always for sale at the moment there is very little this is the way things are at times.
Chunwai have been making models in 1/8 scale for a number of years but I have never heard of anyone anywhere with one, we have a sales section place an add there you never know you may prompt someone who may wish to sell there tank.

Lykke til
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

tiger1

Post by tiger1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:48 am

:D Good Morning Mark
Once again I can not thank you enough fro all the help and advice which is very much appreciated.
I have sent an email to Rag Modellbau and look forward to hearing from them.like their web page very good.
I always seem to collect things associated with what ever my hobby is,so badges of RC tanks,+Stickers/Banners e.t.c.so am always interested

I thank you also for the good advice re the tank itself and will be on the lookout for a good 1/6th model as per my wants list approx

best wishes Steve :mrgreen:

tiger1

Re: How about the VANTEX 1/6th Sherman???

Post by tiger1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:28 pm

:D Hello Mark

I have been busy since my last post have now purchased 3 books,which were suggested over on the "RC Tank Warfare" site

and I have been trying to find out more about the VANTEX (sherman) 1/6th which I understand will be expanded to Tigers e.t.c. eventually? just wondered what the collective thoughts are on the VANTEX Tanks? I do see that the Sherman can be upgraded
to better parts e.t.c.

anyway interested to hear

Best wishes Steve
rivetcounter wrote:Steve
All I can sugest is to keep an eye out on the forum or on ebay try .co.uk or .de or .be or .fr or .nl all will come up with slightly different auctions also have a look at Armortek they have a sales section, no matter where you search sometime 1/6 models are always for sale at the moment there is very little this is the way things are at times.
Chunwai have been making models in 1/8 scale for a number of years but I have never heard of anyone anywhere with one, we have a sales section place an add there you never know you may prompt someone who may wish to sell there tank.

Lykke til

Challenger

Post by Challenger » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi
May I suggest a Tamiya tank full option kit, It will tick almost all your boxes (except size) and give you ability to finish it to very high detail standard.
I have built three so far, KT T1 and Sherman. the kits are a pleasure to build with quality parts and function.
If mobility is a factor the this type of kit should suit. building a collection of this type of model can be very satisfying too.
You don't need a lot of space for model tanks of any size really. as I rarely allow any of my models to get more than a few meters away from me.
Speaking from experience, 1/6 does not lend it's self to ease of movement if working alone. A large estate is required at the least and seeing 100+ kg trying to damage any thing it can tear into in the luggage space is not a pleasure I look forward to. Even the ramps have to substantial, I use adapted scaffold planks weighing in at 20+kg. The tanks themselves have no hand lift points so to speak mainly sharp edges and finger traps and even though they are metal they can easily be damaged too.
If you have no metal machining or fettling equipment, repairs or mods become a very expensive liability, it all costs!

The Tamiya option is a great starter, not cheap new at around £700.00, batteries, radio, paint and detail parts etc. but you only need a few household tools and an excellent model can be built.
If you can lift 5kg you'll keep some independence during the build and enjoy final running experience when ever you want to.
Good luck
Jon

tiger1

Post by tiger1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:52 pm

:mrgreen: Hello John
Really must thank you for a superb reply, and excellent advice.
But Most if not all of the very valid minus points re 1/6th are taken care of,I have a brother in law who is very skilled in machinery. we have a never ending garden so tons of room to explore with big tank.
I am having a shed built with low ramp,as the door is literally only a few inches above ground level,so no issues there.
any thing else I will have to deal with :roll:

Are the TAMIYAS All metal or plastic?
But finally I am not able to build anything im afraid John so Tamiya would not help there either.so I am getting my tank pre built and detailed hopefully.

many thanks Steve

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:05 pm

This came up on ebay the auction has ended but the seller may still sell the tank item number is 171940769062 I think this may belong to Mel.
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

tiger1

Post by tiger1 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 pm

:mrgreen: Hello again

Many thanks for the lead Yes I was following it but am reluctant to buy off ebay without written guarantees,as I am sure you will understand

best wishes Steve

tiger1

Post by tiger1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:58 pm

:mrgreen: Hi Everyone

Just thought I would let you know the first of my 5 x ordered tank books just arrived "The Encyclopedia of German Tanks" Chamberlin
Really superb Book as good as you said many thanks guys

cheers Steve