New Member and a question on Maintenance

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

ShaunC

New Member and a question on Maintenance

Post by ShaunC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi all and thanks for adding me to your merry band.

Finally decided to get back into the model world after several years with radio controlled warships. A recent visit to Bovington has rekindled my interest in tanks and reminded me of seeing large scale tanks at various shows. The Wow factor was amazing.

However I have a question on where to start! I appreciate this is a personal choice and so many different aspects effect an initial model to start with.

I would presume that most people start on some of the smaller scales and build up in size as they become more experienced with the mechanics and electrics. My question is all about maintenance if I were to go with say a 1/6 or 1/8 scale and skip one of the smaller scales available. I have seen several second hand larger scale models for sale but don't really want to be out of my depth keeping it serviceable with my inexperience! I'm OKish on the mechanical side but electronics scare the life out of me. Probably more so than telling the wife what I'm buying!!

It looks like a big step going from a model ship which is relatively maintenance free to something with so many moving parts!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Shaun

saracen

Re: New Member and a question on Maintenance

Post by saracen » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:11 pm

If you're OK with the mechanicals then I would say that is the main part in keeping them running.

Once the electronics are set up, all you need to do is keep the batteries charged and nothing much else changes.

There are usually two motors for the main drive, with either direct drive or chain drive. There's a motor for the turret traverse and a motor or servo for the gun elevation.

Then you get into the sound system, which is a sound card, amplifier and speakers. The Benedini based systems can be a little fussy to set up but once running they're fit and forget.

The smoke system is a heating element and a fan. Keep the (baby)oil level right and it'll look after itself.

I must say that electronics are my forte, so I may see things a little differently but for the most part these models are pretty simple inside.

I started with a Heng Long Tiger 1, then jumped in with an Armortek Sherman. Never looked back :D

Adrian.

ShaunC

Re: New Member and a question on Maintenance

Post by ShaunC » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks Very Much Adrian. Appreciate your help. I think you've just persuaded me to go large!

Cheers

Shaun