Pedantic head on regarding Challenger 2

This is an Open Forum for respectful, civil and friendly discussions. The Moderators reserve the right to remove any messages that we consider unsuitable, vulgar, abusive, racist or sexist . Please use these new forums and continue to enjoy our collective hobby. Any action taken by a Moderator is final and not open to discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Rob

Pedantic head on regarding Challenger 2

Post by Rob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:23 pm

Evening gents,
I have already cut the rear decks off of my Chally, prior to remaking the 'engine grilles' only to find that the original Mark 1 deck seems to me to be around 5mm too low. (Among a few other measurements elsewhere)
Anyone else found this to be true ?
Anyone got any comments ? (Other than 'get your anorak off)
It's easy for me to raise the whole area, just need the thoughts of those of you who have 'done' one before.
The new track pins have taken ages to sort, and cost me, so I figure I'll do the rest right !

rivetcounter

Re: Pedantic head on regarding Challenger 2

Post by rivetcounter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Unfortunately you will find the more you measure the more you find wrong in the end you may end up rebuilding the entire upper deck this is part of the reason why I rebuilt the entire upper body of my Tiger, part of the reason may be the original drawing or model that was used and upscaling.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Oh so true Rivet.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:38 am

it's done, and as you say, the original measurements must have been taken from the Dragon 1/35 kit ( which I started to use). The henlong/torro 1/16 seems to be a bit more realistic ( which i am now using )
The photosniper/tankograd books on Chally 2 do not live up to the standards that Bob Griffin raised with his 2 books on Chally 1 either, but he tells me he has a new release coming out soon. Pity it's going to be too late for this build.

As to your Tiger build Rivet . . . . I'd need a major injection of talent to get anywhere near that !

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Rob credit where its due you are making your tank look very much like a highly detailed Challenger 2 when you have finished try and find one that has not been modified the two will bear no resemblance.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.