Creating camo patterns for tiger 1

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

militarymight

Creating camo patterns for tiger 1

Post by militarymight » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:14 am

Its me again guys been searching for a while now on the net and on this forum for info on creating a good camo scheme for my 1 16 tiger. Late war green and brown im thinking.
All techniques are welcome.
Andy
c/o Militarymightuk

konigsmann

Re: Creating camo patterns for tiger 1

Post by konigsmann » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:29 am

Hi Andy,
Creating a camo pattern for your Tiger,depends on what theatre of the war that you want her to be in,and also its dependant on at what stage in the war,which will dictate your chosen colour scheme,In the early years when paint was in good supply,they used dark yellow,dark green and red brown,or variants of,and these were more often than not,applied by spraying,as the war moved on and paint became scarcer,they used whatever they could find,and a variety of things were used to apply the paint,i.e.brushes mops,even their hands,In, some of my books on Tigers there are refferences to paint paste,that should have been mixed with petrol,but instead was mixed with water,old engine oil,or whatever they had at hand,
If you are starting from scratch,then you may want to start with German,dark yellow over all,then dark green can be used to createa web pattern all applied with an air brush preferably,for a tri,colour pattern,I use dark yellow for my base coat,then the others are applied,acryllics are my chosen medium for my 1/16,but on my big stuff I find it cheaper to use cellulose,as I can get 1/2 a lt,for £10,as opposed to tiny jars at £1.50 each,When I started out I must admit I created a few Pigs Arse,s,but practice makes things better,at times I even tried creating stencils,for my patterns,what I found invaluable to me,was a jar of liquid masking,everyone has different technique,s,and I stick to the way I,m happy with,and once you have found a way then you may do the same,

happy painting,

Wull

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:41 pm

Andy,

I might be teaching my Grandmother how to suck eggs here but I try looking on the various Internet modelling website/galleries such as http://www.track-link.net/ where you can look up various models and see how different camouflage schemes work. Just an idea!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

konigsmann

Post by konigsmann » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi Humpy,great site,

Wull

cuff666

Post by cuff666 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 pm

as a rule of thumb for painting tiger 1's before feb 1943 panzers left the factory in grey and after that they were finished in dark yellow , crews were isued with cans of green and dark reddy/brown and like was said earlier crews could either take their time and even use sprayers were available or was just painted on as quick as possible to suit theatre of opeerations , usually stripes or splotches (also white washed ) !
small pleasures are last refuge of the complex