Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger - Newbie needs help

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

postman

Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger - Newbie needs help

Post by postman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:55 pm

I've just got into the R/C tank hobby (although I've been a modeller for many years). I'm building a Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger and have just got to the stage of hooking up the electronics and trying everything out. In addition to connecting up the electronic units I hooked up the motors to see if anything would turn.

The test was a complete and utter failure! Basically the salient points are:

1. The receiver can "hear" the transmitter, as I can command the drive motors to start up.
2. Unfortunately the drive motors respond to the right-hand stick. I get no response from the left-hand stick. Is this transmitter Mode 1 (although the ratchet is on the left-hand stick, implying Mode 2)?
3. There appears to be no "steering" function from either the left or right stick.
4. There is no sound generated, although I know the speaker works by putting it into self test mode.

I've tried to go through the setup routine shown in the Tamiya instructions but it's not very clear and I really don't know whether I'm doing it right.

I'm not sure where to go from here and I don't really want to proceed until I'm sure the radio is working properly.

All suggestions would be most appreciated. :?

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:40 pm

:idea:Ian, you are only down the M1 from me I live off J26 if you want I can compare your wiring to my Tigers, but it sounds like you have wired the receiver wrong which is no great problem :shock:
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

postman

Post by postman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi there

Thanks for the response. At about 1:00am this morning I discovered (by trial and error) that I need to connect the 4 cables from the DMD unit in the sequence 1, 3, 2, 4. I also found I hadn't connected the two units together properly (said I was new to this :oops: ).

Going by the sounds from the speaker the stick movements "sound" correct. :) When I've got the running gear completed I can test properly.

Thanks again for your response and I'll let you know if I'm still having problems.

Regards

Monty

Post by Monty » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:24 pm

Hi Ian, sounds as though you've cracked it.

However welcome to the hobby, as Rivet says you're just down the road from 'us lot', so hopefully you'll come some of the events and gatherings we have.

However we're portrayed I'm sure you'll find us a friendly bunch, and lots of fun :D
If ya can hear em shootin' ya still alive!