Recoil

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

ALLAN114

Recoil

Post by ALLAN114 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:51 pm

Not the straight frward gun recoil, but has anyone thought about making the tank jump when the gun fires??? Tamiya do this through making the motors jerk to move the tank - its ok but doesn't really cut it for me. Also jerking the motors and gearboxes is not good practice really. I've been wondering if it might be possible to jerk the tank through making the suspension jump using a solonoid on the road wheel axles in some way. Has anyone thought about this??

The problem I'll have is the power required to do this on a 300lb "A" tank.

Allan

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:52 pm

Allan,

I know Alex had a go, not sure what happend there, but doesn't Vince have that?? or am I imagining things :roll:
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

missyd

Post by missyd » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:20 pm

You need a quick-weight-shifting device! :roll:
Danielle

Make Love not War ....

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:17 am

In these days of political correctness,Colonel, I assume that you were talking about Vince's tank!! 8)

Cheers

Mel

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:03 am

Hey No jokes in this section! :shock: Its nerds only K Mel :cry:

Brett
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:05 am

In that case Mr. Kiwi--I have a very good DVD which shows Tigers in combat and you have to be Eagle-eyed to spot any movement of the tank when it fires--so there!!

Cheers

Mel

Fabrice

Recoil

Post by Fabrice » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:14 am

Evening All

Have to agree with Mel there, the whole model jump thing is an attempt to to create a scale visual metaphor for the blast shockwave/over pressure from the gun discharge. This is particularly amplified in real life where the gun has a muzzle-brake (eg Tigers, Panthers etc) which directs blast efflux backwards. This throws up a lot of dust and debris on and around the vehicle making it appear to "jump".

Look at the historical footage; the actual degree of rock is minimal, that's because the recoil mechanisms were designed to absorb the energy, lest it concuss the crew or throw the sights off!

Perhaps it would be worth considering an air-cannon/pyro charge, mounted in the hull floor, syncronized to the main gun discharge to mimic this phenomenon, ie to kick up the dust round the vehicle?

My ha'penny worth.
Fabrice

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:51 am

Thank you Fabrice--I had to get something right eventually!!! 8)

Cheers

Mel

missyd

Post by missyd » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:26 am

Even Jagdpanzers (IV, Hetzer) equipped 'no recoil' guns did rock only very little. :roll:
Danielle

Make Love not War ....

ALLAN114

Post by ALLAN114 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:55 am

Thanks for the info on the recoil motion. Sounds like if one wishes to follow scale only minimal motion is required. I'm still going to go for some rock or jump just to give the punters something to see when this thing does fire. I've found a couple of 12v solenoids so I'll try a bread board rig before fiddling too much in the model.

Allan