Warrior MCRV - FV513 - Build Update

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyR

Warrior MCRV - FV513 - Build Update

Post by AndyR » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi,

Thought I would move / post some new pics into a new thread in the new section.

Constructive criticism is welcome - as always.

Thanks
Andy R

PS - Fabrice, I haven't forgotten but I have just (more or less) got back!!!!

The tracks were made from a plastic which is formed using a rapid prototype machine, not cheap but worth it as I can now double check against the wheels (when they arrive) and sprocket before I commit to getting any cast.

Thanks
AndyR
Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickfitz

track and drive

Post by mickfitz » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:33 pm

Andy

Please please tell me where I can get those track links from mate.

I'm planning building a FV432 (used to work on them when I was in the Army)

I know the Warrior links have different detail (however quite similar) but I'm prepared to 'overlook' that for a good functioning links like these

Hope you can help

Mick

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:59 pm

Mate,

I would be happy to help you. However they have been deisgned by me on Inventor, and have been fabricated using a rapid prototype machine.

I can if you wish (if you supply some drawings, in particular the areas that are incorrect) update my inventor model and get some tracks made for you via the rapidprototype machine. The cost for me updating the model would be for free (assuming I can just tweak my model), but getting the links made would be to your own cost (currently about £35 per link exl vat and P&P).

Let me know what you think, if your happy about the links we maybe able to get a joint casting job done to reduce the initial costs involved.

The link pitch, ie space between pin to pin is 25mm (exact).

Cheers
Andy R

Fabrice

Post by Fabrice » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Andy,
Welcome back!
Very nice track protos. What file type (DXF,STL,IGS) do you export to the boys with the toys?
Cheers
Fabrice

missyd

Post by missyd » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:07 pm

How can one learn to make such nice drawings with a PC?
I tried more than once with a cad drawing sw but I never had any success! :?
Danielle

Make Love not War ....

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Fabrice,

Can you send me an email at the email address I sent to you?

I export my drawings to STL (this I think stands for Sterolithography aka rapid prototype), I have some more parts to get made I'll post them as they become available.

for exporting to a laser cutting company i send them dwg files, and for exporting drawgings to machining companies, i give them IGES and dwg files.

Danille,

I use inventor and have just taught it to my self over the last 6 months or so. Once you get the hang of it, it's really straight forward to use....... the key difference is I am not using AutoCAD lt or 2005 etc, i am using a dedicated 3d software package. AutoCAD does do 3d but it does it in a really really really complicated way, inventor does it infinatly simplier.

For instance I designed my sprocket ring on inventor in a little over 4hrs, but I spent a good deal of time (3 - 4 weeks) researching the required design considerations to make it work (calcs etc). I'll post a pic of it in the next few days, it engages the teeth really really sweetly. 8)

Cheers
Andy R

missyd

Post by missyd » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:17 am

Andy, thank you very much for the info about the software. I will have a look at it. :wink:
Danielle

Make Love not War ....

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:37 pm

Hi there,

Just gathered together some pics of my warrior project. Thought I would chuck them up!!

I will post pics of my sprocket ring, once I get my camera charged!!!

At present My roadwheels should be finished within the next week or two, the idler wheel is about ready to start fabrication. The main sprocket is very close to being able to commence fabrication as well, just trying to think of a good way to retain the sproket on the shaft....

My front bearing housing has worked out really well so far, soon to get a plastic version made.

My swing arms are hopefully going to get cast in the next couple of weeks depending on cash and whether i end uo going for a basic version of the same thing.....

The trouble is the warrior (because it's sits high up) shows off its running gear and suspension really well and so to not pay enough attention to detail at this stage will ruin the effect.

Comments as always most welcome.

Cheers
Andy R

Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fabrice

Post by Fabrice » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:51 am

Andy
Keep it up! She's coming along nicely.
Cheers
Fabrice

Sean Brannin

Post by Sean Brannin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:42 pm

How hard would it be to convert these designs to 1/16 scale? Id even pay you to have it produced if it is financially viable.
1/16 Tamiya Tiger 1, 1/16 T-34/85
1/15 Bandai Stug IV, 1/16 Tamiya Leopard2A6, and 1A4,1/16 Flakpanzer Gepard, 1/9 M1A2 Abrams 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:18 pm

Cheer Fabrice,

Sean,

I might when (some say if) i get it finished to produce all the required engineering drawings (from the actual prototype model) and make them available to purchase over the web. Much like how Iljak does his gearbox designs.

As for converting the design to 1/16, anything is possible, however I have gone to great lengths to make this work as a 1/6th scale model and so I doubt it would be a simple case of resizing the drawings and sending them off to get fabricated!!!

I won't be making an effort to convert it to 1/16th scale, but it doesn't have to be done by me!!!

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement so far!!

Andy R
Last edited by AndyR on Tue May 03, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missyd

Post by missyd » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:51 pm

I wish you would build a Hetzer! :wink:
Superb drawings!!!! :D
Danielle

Make Love not War ....

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:19 pm

MissyD

Thanks, and never say never!!

Cheers
AndyR

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed May 04, 2005 8:46 pm

Another update for those of you that are interested.

Progress made over the last two weeks:

I've had few parts made, all the roadwheels arrived on Friday.
More rapid prototypes have been made, swing suspension hub etc.
More parts sent off tonight for costs and subsequent manufacture.
The Idler wheels are also being costed at the minute, slightly more expensive than I first imagined so I'll have to think about this one for a little while.
The main sprocket hub (ie what the sprocket ring will bolt onto) will be tweaked in a few weeks time before going to get costed and manufactured.

I have received a quote today about getting tracks cast. I can get them cast in Brass for £580 (300 links) if i supply the wax masters......sounds good to me, I'll hold off until I have the wheels and chassis finished. Anybody have any advice on this, i.e. brass or aluminium??

In the mean time I'm looking into getting a rubber mould made of a link, and conducting research into types of wax used. If it's cheap enough, it might be something I could do over the next 3 - 4 months, casting 300 wax links!!!! In addition I'm sending one of my plastic track links down to the foundry so they can cast a test piece to confirm if they can get the link holes cast in place. Apparently they work on an accuracy of 0.01mm, that's pretty fecking good, especially as I told them that I worked on a 0.5mm tolerance!!

Have also made contact with a rubber supplier who is getting together a rough cost for me to get the rubber bonded on all the wheels. I'll post more details when I get them.

Please see the attached pics of the components made so far! 8)

Box of bits, 14 roadwheels (incls 2 spare)

Roadwheel with swing arm and suspension hub attached (oh and tracks)

Sprocket ring (ie this is bolted to the sprocket hub). They mesh with the track link very very sweetly i'm really really impressed with this!!!!

Warriors main drive hubs (1x, once design is completed will get another)

You'll notice the bearing is not sealed (whoops, that will be changed when installed properly and loctited into position).

Final pic to round off the night!!!!

Advice or observations as always welcomed. Incedently if anyone knows of good compact gearboxes let me know, at the moment I'm planning to use chain drives to get into the recessed hub, but I am open to better ideas!!

Cheers
Andy R

PS I know the spellings a bit dodgy but what the hell!!!!
Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed May 04, 2005 10:16 pm

Im impressed. Having been there with the Autocad and the fabrication myself with Chally. Have you set a budget ..indeed do you have a budget ?