Warrior MCRV - FV513 - Build Update

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyR

Re: Warrior MCRV - FV513 - Build Update

Post by AndyR » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:42 am

Colonel,

I'm afarid it is no longer called Bodgit and Scarper, but by a request from a friend to rename it DILLIGAF.

Well apparently it was on my mates wagon (FV513), while he commanded it in a sandy place............

Do I Look Like I Give A F**k

I think I might just use Bodgit and Scarper on the model though, as I would hate to try and explain that abreviation to Harry when he's little older!!!!

Cheers
Andyr

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Evening,

After looking at muddydiggers pics I got inspired and re-visited the warrior this evening. I had a eureka moment with regards to the crane and I now reckon I can have the entire crane mechanised via RC!!

Have finished the 3d files for the main boom, turret and crane rotation methods. I just need to finalise the jib design and the winch design......maybe by 2010 this might stand a serious chance of all actually working!!!

I also spoke to my machinist today and he is going to send me the sprockets in the next 6 weeks!! Will post pics when I get them!!

BTW those of you interested in CVR(T) the dwgs will be finished (by the end of the year, babies, work, warrior permiting).

Cheese
AndyR
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

muddydigger

Post by muddydigger » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:01 am

Well mate my turn to be in ore! christ, I wish I could get the computer to do that stuff. Mate bloody beutifull, is all I can say. Love to see it going. Keep it up, its going to be teriffic!

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Many thanks for your kind words matey.

With regards to the comupter, the software used in AutoDESK Inventor. A very cool 3d parametric modeling software. Solidworks is the main competitor to Invenotr and enjoys a bigger audience (mainly cos it was out first and more american companies use it) and so is most popular. However IV (invenotr) is quite easy to learn, only draw back is the cost to buy the software and the compueter to run it on. Software commercial license is £5K, and a suitable laptop to run it is about £1800).... you have to be a real geek to want to do what I'm doing............................unless you intend putting the design in manufacture like Armortek!

I've extensively researched the FV513 and know a fair bit about it. As i stated above i had a eureka moment last night and had solved the crane boom elevation problem, and the crane jib extension problem last night. I have also got a cunning plan on how to get the winch working. Unfortunatly I don't have a plan at present for getting the rear stabiliser leg to work i suspect this may be a cosmetic effort. I could end up running out of RC channels!!

Crane boom up/down - 2 channels
Crane traverse - 2 channels
Crane Jib in/out - 2 channels
Crane winch pay out / haul in - 2 channels
Turret traverse - 2 channels
Turret gun elevation - 2 channels
Vehicle frwd / backwards - 2 channels

Total of 14 channels - thats gonna be a mother to set up!!!

Better revise the ETA from 2010 to 2020!

Cheers
AndyR

Fabrice

Post by Fabrice » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:27 am

Hi Andy,
I have always thought that each "channel" on an RC tx/rx setup drives one servo. Therefore an ESC with forward and reverse still only needs one channel to drive it.
Hunter Electronics do a nattly little keyfob operated switch box to turn auxiliary functions on and off, if you were to run out of channels.
Glad to hear the Warrior has restarted. Your first wee boy must almost be old enough to pass you the tools now :) .
cheers, Fabrice

Chieftain 900

Post by Chieftain 900 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:47 am

Glad you think so as well Fabrice, I make it 7 used so far, and with a good expansion box leave pleanty more channels for Andy to fit MORE bits in it. :D
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Photo links fixed - at long last ;)

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Just a quick message to say that I'm going to start work on the warrior soon - although the majority of my time will be spent on CRARRV - I intend to get this thing moving - I have a lot of 3d parts file ready to get made so I will probably go ahead with some of these - I'm more confident with dimensions etc due to me having the entire model in inventor so will look to get the crane pedestal made.

that was a 600pound part when I last it priced, so will see what my cheap 3d printer people make of it - I have another couple of tricks up my sleeve to make it even cheaper!!!!

S'later
Andy