Warrior MCRV - FV513 - Build Update

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyR

Re: Warrior MCRV - FV513 - Build Update

Post by AndyR » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi all got some more pics to show you, the first pic is of the stainless steel suspension shafts, they still need to have a couple of holes drilled and tapped in them for locating the M4 screw (for securing the torsion bars) but I reckon I'll fit them to the hull first then drill them in the correct position, I have calculated that they will need 30 degrees of pre-twist to get them into the correct position but I don't want to ruin these beautifully polished shafts (bearing quality - amazing am really chuffed about this and no it was not expensive either).

I hope to have some of my cast parts to show on the web some time this week, as I said before Baby Robb's due date is coming ever closer and so I'm trying to get as much stuff done prior to that cut off date (figure of speech) so I may not be able to post on this website for a long time!!

Anyway I also spent a good deal of this weekend working on Inventor, So I have posted some more screen grabs enjoy or rip apart.........

Constructive criticism is as always most welcome.

Cheers
Andy R
Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi all,

Been busy and I have some more parts to show off, they are the cast swing arms and the cast hubs.

I got each hub and swing arm cast in brass and aluminium, so I could check them out, drill tap and ensure I am happy with them!

I'm about to place an order for the respective quatities that I require 14 off Hubs and 14 off swing arms, and the price if anyone is interested is very reasonable approx £6.5 per item (aggregate).

here they are attached to the wheel, the Hubs are needing to have a face turned on the outside lip down to 28mm (to a tolerenece fit) this will allow them to be pressed onto the wheel and jacked out using the jacking screw, this should also retain oil or grease (I'm going to use oil, this should (I hope) have a very very slight leak which will add to the overall effect (I hope).

PS no baby yet, I'll post a pic of him or her when it all happens 8) 8) 8) thought it was going to happen last night but afraid nothing happened! still Friday is the due date so we'll have to wait and see!!!!

Constructive criticism as always most welcome

Cheers
Andy R
Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thetankfan

Post by thetankfan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:35 pm

the tanks coming along nicely. i know what its like deigning and making your own tank. i have spent the last year at uni designing a 1/4 scale tank for myself and have just been able to crack on with it. i am studying engineering so i have acsess to all the facilitys i need. it has been fun pushing the rolling chassis with some of the wheels atached round the shop. its quiete funny being able to get inside my project when every1 else is making tiny things so far. i had the fun task 2 weeks ago of getting everything into the back of my pickup to bring it home for the summer. that proved a sight in the uni car park. unfortunatly i cannot take any pictures as my camera got damaged in water recantly and being a student i dont have the money to buy a new one.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:17 pm

Thanks,

If your a student of engineering if I were you I would get a copy of Inventor or Solidworks and transfer all your jagdpanther dwgs into the 3d environment (you won't belive how much easier it is to manipulate your designs). Then with it complete (engineered in 3d) offer the design to some companies who may be interested in making the model as a 1/6th scale venture (royalties etc) or build it yourself.

Inventor can be purchased from Autodesk and the student license costs £120, for two years (your uni should have a copy of one or the other software package) it even comes with a Finite Element Analysis package (now that should get you interested). Now this might sound like a lot of money, however think of it this way:

If you can produce a fully engineered project in inventor / solidworks (doesn't matter which), you can show it to people at any interviews you have (on a laptop complete with pics) think of it as a portfolio.

As an engineer (Project) I have learned so much from using this software and applying it on my own model designs and as such has made me more marketable to other companies (another string to my bow and item to the CV).

For a student project I think it is excellent opportunity to get your hobby working for you!!!!!!

Which course are you doing? HNC, HND, BSc, BEng or MEng (smart b*stard).

Cheers
Andy R

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:00 pm

On another note completely,

here is a pic of Harry and daddy just discussing the next stage of our Warrior project:

Harry: Dad what do you mean it doesn't have a big gun?!?

Heres some pics of the Hubs we got cast, we are hoping the rest of the Cast parts will arrive soon 8) 8) .

Cheers
Andy & Harry
Last edited by AndyR on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thetankfan

Post by thetankfan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:43 am

im doing a bsc in engineering. i already use that bit of software you suggested and have filled a 20gb external hard drive with drawings, referance pictures, progress pictures etc. i would selll the design but i dont know any company that would whant a 1/4 scale tank on their range. at the moment i am still esigning it so i am in no position to sell it. i had great fun on the last dy of uni hooking up my speed controllers and driving it round the uni car park to the amusment of many students.

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:41 am

Seems like Harry's looking around for his Camo BD's already AndyR
:shock: :lol:

Hope all is well

Brett
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

thetankfan

Post by thetankfan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:48 am

do you think the turret ring will be large enough for him to sit in?

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:57 pm

Brett,

I know, he was wearing a white jumpsuit today, I remarked that it looked like snow camoflage................lets just say that tumble weed rolled past in the deathly silence that followed :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Thetankfan,

Your right there is no way that he will fit inside the turret ring. However I was thinking about having interchangeable top decks one with a seat for harry and one with the scale bits and bobs fitted! another thought was having a trailer for him to sit in and tow himself about.

Anyway there is a long way to go before that can be considered!!!

What about posting some pics of your own tank build on the forum, i'm sure most people would be interested in seeing your work?

Cheers
Andy R

thetankfan

Post by thetankfan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:41 pm

watch out as it wont be long before he wants to drive it.

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:02 pm

Andy, I know where you're comming from re camoflage, my wife thought the tumble weed hysterical, but only cause shes been there. I wanted to buy a ride in tank on ebay for Jacob, made from a bomb disposal robot only £120, bargin! can't say I had a positive response from the wife :roll:

thetankfan

Post by thetankfan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:07 am

i dunno wat my mum would say to me putting my baby brother in the chassis and taking it for a spin.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:33 pm

Tha tank fan,

Yeah I'm sure my missus would be impressed if I took harry out for a spin today!!

Not likely, i reckon the yougest he will be able to play with this (heavily supervised mind) is about 5 maybe 6 years old. He WILL be able to tackle any of the mechanics of the machine by the time he is 10!!!

Of course if he is not interested in mechanics, tanks or engineering then thats cool!!

JD,

I know women have no sense of humor!!!!!!

Cheers
AndyR

thetankfan

Post by thetankfan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:58 pm

my 7 year old brother loves driving my m26. i know what he will be whanting for christmas now.

rital

Post by rital » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:26 pm

great work AndyR!!

a little question ,how do you calculate spring power of a torsion bar? have you some tips for me? :idea:

thank you and keep working good!