CRARRV Build Update

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyR

Re: CRARRV Build Update

Post by AndyR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:41 am

Hi Gary,

No problem, will get everything done first and once you have received them and your happy we can sort out costs etc.

Maybe have these sorted for end of the week, and posted next week I hope.

Cheers
Andy
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi folks,

Have been very busy this week with work, next week likely to be the same. However I will make some progress this weekend - I promise.

Since I was last working on the drivers hatch and the commanders hatch I have started to think about crew!!

Specifically - animatronics......

Has anybody used the Churchill creations gear?

http://www.churchillcreations.co.uk/animatronics.html

I just want a driver to move his head from time to time..............

How complicated to programme the system?

Cheers
Andy

possum

Post by possum » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Andy,

yes I have Churchill creations gear. Also have a look at http://www.pololu.com for a programmable servo driver, records your desired crew movements & plays them back. Really helpful website & staff. I have a new one waiting to go into the Chieftain when its ready to run the crew.

For just the driver you could use a y lead connected to your steering L/H R/H channel,then stick your drivers head on a micro servo. When you turn left he looks left etc., may need a servo slow so his head doesn't move to quickly also makes the movement more realistic. Worked really well for my old Stuart driver. Cheap alternative.

Gary

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks Gary,

Appreciate the advice.

Can you send me a PM with your home address, i will post you your NBC pack on Monday.

It needs painting and assembly, with a bit of clean up of support material.

Will post you a picture tomorrow.

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Some photos of my latest progress.

Nothing exciting I guess, mainly glued on some parts and made the drivers station.

I plan on having the hatch permanently open, as i have 1/6th scale driver, potentially being made by Churchill animatronics.

He sounded pretty helpful via email so will need to see how that develops.

I did consider what you said Gary, but I kinda want a plug a play solution, as I'm at the point I just want this thing finished :) (so I can re-start FV513).....

I also glued on the front pad eyes for lifting and recovery hard point.

I also took out my Canadian 3d prints and test fitted to the model :twisted: freaking awesome, and damn, this thing is starting to take shape :)

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 pm

A couple of more photos.

possum

Post by possum » Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 am

Really coming together now & starting to look menacing. When we went to Warminster 3RTR with the UKTC a few years back, the CRARRV looked like a real bad ass
machine. :evil:
The 3D modeling you've done is stunning, inspiring work.

Gary

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Thanks Gary,

Yeah its really starting to take shape now.

I need to be careful though as I have avoided some fine detail bits as its time consuming, things like the windscreen wipers on the vision blocks for the driver and commander, I do want to do these, I just lack modelling skill (as it will need to be truly scratch built from styrene strip).

I'm hoping that the tail end of next week will see a big push again. I have a load of already completed 3d models so will need to see what I have and bash on.

I'm tempted to get the Mr Surfacer out and start texturing, but I'm unsure of how and on overall sequence. I.e. should I do after or before applying milliput weld beads?

I'm also tempted to re-make the engine deck radiator and transmission hatches, I'm tempted to amend the design to make them operable as I have learned a lot with the driver / commander hatches on how to hide the wire hinge.

I bought some Z-Ultrat, this is a different material to ABS, but has similar ABS properties, its used for making large models on the printer as its less prone to warping. So I might be printing out the crane pedestal this week or next week, I'm fully expecting this to take 24hrs or more to print.

I'm also wondering about RC, I'm thinking about simplifying the RC system by having two receivers both bound to the same transmitter - can this even be done? I was thinking of having the crane on a different receiver as it will use a different voltage system and to be honest you won't be driving with the crane elevated anyway. Intention was to change the model type on the transmitter (I'm assuming this is how its bond) to activate the crane or hull controls.

What I was thinking is the 1x receiver bound to the transmitter controlling:-
1) Tracks (2x channels),
2) Dozer blade;
3) Main recovery winch;
4) Aux winch;

Total of 5 channels.

1x receiver bound to the transmitter controlling:-
1) Slew,
2) Boom;
3) Jib;
4) Winch;

Total of 4 channels;

A pipe dream or some practicality being used - hard to say which ;)

Cheers
Andy

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon May 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Andy it is looking truly awesome . Well done.
As for your driving/crane operating, have a look at the german sites for crane or digger operations. Using a DX10t or DX18t it is possible to have a flip switch so that the sticks will do different things (operate on different channels) at different times. (Flight modes they call it) plus there are lots of switches/ twiddly things to play with and I dont think there is anything the set will not do ! . YouTube has a few tutorials under DX10t.
For a DX18t again german sites, ebay. Still a bit pricey but cheaper than UK.
I had a DX10t for a while but it was needless complexity for what I wanted. ( plus I'm old and it is all in the onboard programming) certainly nice sets though.

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 am

Simon, from Churchill creations is a nice chap he has been working on these figures for a number of years, when you get the programing right the figures do look good.
You know you will regret not making the windscreen wipers every time you look at the tank, if it was me I would make a point of making them.
This build is really coming together I see you have a lot of weld lines to add this will keep you busy for a few nights.
Keep up the good work, now is not the time to cut corners.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed May 04, 2016 10:53 pm

@ Rob,

Yeah, thanks for the compliments - I appreciate it. Wrt the radio, I'm thinking your right, looks like easier less complex solutions on the market, I like the spectrum kit, I like the mode change on the sticks :)

@ Rivit,

Windscreen wipers, yeah i think your right, i will do it, will set aside a few hours to scratch build them by hand, I think it will be quicker than CAD / 3d print, think it will be easier to scale and get right just checking by eye.

Appreciate all the praise guys, I really do :)

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed May 04, 2016 10:59 pm

So no progress on the CRARRV tonight (Scouting duties instead).

But i did get a delivery of parcels.

My 1/6th scale figure arrived, which is being sent to Churchill tomorrow or Friday.

I also got my 1/8th scale RC Warn winch.............

Now, this has 8kg of static line pull, which means it could lift 8kg, thats 16lbs (give or take).

Possible winch solution for the crane and Auxillary winch I wonder.......

I think I will be doing a bit of 3d modelling of the aux winch and fairlead, and the crane pedestal... ;)

The hook and wire are no good, but possible I can change that. By rights the crane wire is 3mm to be scale accurate.

I'm dead keen to butcher and existing solution help speed things up.

If I need to design a winch, then I will, but its a lot of work to do it correctly.

I wonder if you can get dynemma rope in 3mm, soft pliable, but bloody strong stuff (Kevlar rope).

Cheers
Andy

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 am

Is anyone else missing posts on this subject ?
Groundbreaking things were happening here, you still with us Andy ?
If you are having problems with the site, try the Facebook version please.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for the tardiness.

All is ok from a personnel perspective, but professionally its all a bit manic and doom and gloom here in Aberdeen, so I have not had any time at all to play on the printer or the garage.

Hoping to get back to looking at the CRARRV in November, or earlier if I get made redundant!!!!!!

Hope everyone else is keeping fine!

Cheers
AndyR

possum

Post by possum » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Andy,
glad your ok, but bad news about the redundancy that may be on the horizon. I've been there 4 time's now in my working life, but some how managed keep my job or be offered a better one. I know the oil market is not good at the moment, my bother works for BP.

I really hope things work out ok.

Gary D