1/6 Dragon Schwimmwagen - rc conversion

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: 1/6 Dragon Schwimmwagen - rc conversion

Post by Humpy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Fred,

At least yours is further on than mine!!! We've ordered some drive axles from Robbe which are 1/16th scale truck axles. The beauty with these is you can drive them from the front or the rear of the diff being that they are designed for multi axle models with the axles piggybacked off one another. That means we can the do the 4WD bit quite easily!

As for the PTO for the propeller, well thats stumped us as well. To do it correctly means that the dropdown section with the prop on the end needs some drive or gearing in it but it's so painfully small even in 1/6th scale! Not sure how we go from here. We had thought about bringing a drive shaft out from the bottom of the model which would attach to the prop when it is folded down, but that's not easy when you have a diff smack bang in the way! We shall have to see when the axles turn up how much room we have how we tackle that bit. The 4WD has got to take priority!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi Humpy
The linkage for the prop will be a real pain. If all else fails, I could use a couple of gears in an oversize non scale fitting. Whatever is used must be able to fold up since off road driving will wreck the prop otherwise. I have seen a marine z drive fitted to one of these models somewhere, not scale but probably very good.

Good luck with it
Fred

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Why use a power take off? Why not use an electrical motor. then its just power wires going to it (Motors would have to be sealed of course

Cheers

Brett
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Look what I found!

http://media.hobzob.com/files/410/vehic ... n2_002.jpg

Do you want to tell him or shall I :lol:

Hopefully some pics coming soon of progress with the Schwimmer...

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:47 pm

As promised, some Schwimmwagen pics on my Jagdpanther website :)

Humpy

http://www.jagdpanther.co.uk/schwimmwagen.htm
UKTC President

dandare01

Post by dandare01 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Looks like Howards been kept very busy Stuart :shock:
Robert

(don't forget I'm still a moderator)

Kingtiger, Panther, Berge Panther, Hetzer, Berge Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV L70, Panzer IV, Flakpanzer IV, Stuart, M16 Half track, 2 x WSC's, 3 Jeeps, 3 x Kubels, 3 x Kettenkrad, SdkfZ 251 250, & Opel Blitz.

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:36 am

I made the tea!!!

Humpy
UKTC President

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 am

Some more pics of slow but steady progress (we've been sidetracked with a shed, sorry, workshop!)

http://jagdpanther.co.uk/schwimmwagen.htm

We'll need a stronger standard sized servo though as the bog standard one struggles a bit, any ideas? Managed to cobble up the motor to check the drive speed of the model and managed to destroy the rear diff :cry: The planetary gears of the diff are only plastic and one had exploded!!! The rest is fairly robust so poor old Howard's going to knock up some replacement diff carriers and then we'll lock up the diffs.

Humpy
UKTC President

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:51 am

Howard knocked up two dummy diffs yesterday evening, ie a replacement gear carrier so that the diff is effectively locked. Went to go and try it out and realised I'd left the battery packs at home. Doh :x Oh well, we'll give it a go Saturday in daylight and see how we get on, especially now that it's running 4WD not just RWD! Watch this space.

Humpy
UKTC President

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Had the Schwimmer out and about today and it behaved quite well. It was running on a old 40Mhz radio Rx which was just lumped in the back with the ESC so there was a bit of jitter but we could tell it was ok apart from that. One of the drive shafts fell out!! We'd had the front all apart to mod it for two servos for the steering and when we put it back together we think one shaft maybe a little longer than the other so we'll swap them around. This isn't a worry! It now drives and steers very well and I've even added a short video, taken on my steam driven mobile to show we were ably assisted by one of Howard's menagarie chasing the 40Mhz aerial which was draped out the back! Ordered the bits today to start on the propellor drive, that'll be fun.

http://jagdpanther.co.uk/images/Schwimm ... 0test1.3gp

Humpy
UKTC President

PanzerCommander

Post by PanzerCommander » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 am

Fantastic work and thanks for the low down on how to. It's going to be very interesting to see the prop mech and how you're going to work it. How much does your rear suspension move as you originally said the 1/1 only moves an inch or so? Also, if you're going to swim yours how are you balancing it so it sits right in the water or will you add balast where and if it's needed? Keep the updates coming as this is really interesting. Thanks

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:05 pm

I spent a whole evening watching Howard machine the complete prop arm from a solid block of Ali on Monday last. Although a long slow laborious process, the fascination of watching something appear in front of your very eyes from a block of metal was riveting!

In this picture, the wider central part of the assembly has the drive, presumably gears? In our model this has a trough machined out of the block in which a small toothed belt drives via two small tooted pulleys. The belt is slightly too long so this part is longer than it should be but the whole assembly is the correct length so hopefully it won't look out of place! The prop will be slightly smaller as well (all these measurements assuming that the Dragon model is spot on of course!) as it's the nearest we could get (it's only a mm or two smaller). We haven't worked out the raising and lowering mechanism yet but the Ali assembly is so light it shouldn't need any great strength.

We do intend it to Schwimm and we've kinda had a think where to put everything to give a rough balance but none of the electrics has been fixed yet so it'll be a case of moving it around so it balances. Howard seems to think that it'll be too bouyant and we'll have to ballast it to keep it at the right ride height (not a maritime term I know but you know what I mean!) so we may be able to have more than one figure in the finished model, we shall see.

Although this has been a slow and steady plod this model has been very interesting to design and build and I will keep the postings coming. I know secretly Howard loves this kind of one of work but he did mutter "I ain't building another one of these" while machining the prop assembly :lol:

Humpy

PS Forgot to mention, there's no supsension on the model! The tyres are quite bouncy and that's more or less enough. As I said, one inch of travel in 1:1 scale is not much in 1:6 scale!!!
UKTC President

[ICE]monkey

Post by [ICE]monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:28 pm

hi humpy, any update on the schwimmer, as i picked one up at the on track show and would like to rc it , any tips and pointers
regards, cliff
blitzkrieg panzer IV , mark 1 tiger II
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Cliff,

Unfortunately the Schwimmer project all came to a halt when the my new shed/workshop/dog house came along! That took a few months to get all up and running and now myself and Howard are in the middle of a Panther and a Challenger upgrade to 24v so we're busy with that! Once we get that out of the way perhaps we'll go back to the Schwimmer.

We got to the stage where the model drives and steers ok and we were looking at the the propeller drive mechanism but this was proving troublesome to say the least! Howard's made a complete replacement prop mech arm, whatever you like to call it, from a solib block of Ali on the mill. I suggested using a miniature toothed belt drive inside the arm, using a small toothed belt such as that which drives the print head up and down in the average computer printer. Have a look in your printer and you'll see what I mean. Trouble is/was that the belt was a very tight fit and difficult to get it all together! Anyway, more news as and when we get back to it :)

Humpy

PS I saw you with the Schwimmwagen kit yesterday. £60? That was a bloody good price :D
UKTC President

[ICE]monkey

Post by [ICE]monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 pm

cheers , it was marked up at £65 but he let me have it for £60, what chassis did you use ?
cliff
blitzkrieg panzer IV , mark 1 tiger II
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place