1/6 Dragon Schwimmwagen - rc conversion

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: 1/6 Dragon Schwimmwagen - rc conversion

Post by Humpy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:10 am

Cliff,

We didn't use any chassis as such, we used two Robbe lorry axels with modified diffs and shortened axle tubes, other than that it's all scratch built! My personal website is messing about at the moment but there are some pictures on there somewhere!!

http://jagdpanther.co.uk/schwimmwagen.htm

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:40 am

This is how I tackled the propellor drive.
I made up an aluminium yoke to support the axles and found a miniature toothed belt. I also replaced the plastic prop with a metal one. I have dressed the drive up with plastic fittings from the dragon kit. Admittedly its not true to scale but it should work reliably.

Fred

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:49 am

Nice work Fred. Our (I say our!!) Schwimmer project has stalled a bit recently being sidetracked with fitting out my new shed/workshop, a makeover on a 1/6th Panther and now a 1/6th Chally! Howard has machined up from solid a replacement arm with the pivot yoke, long thin bit with the prop attached and the bent skid arm all in one peice. He made it slightly bigger with a machined rebate to use a small toothed belt similar to that which you've used. The rebate will be covered with a plate to 'pretty' it up a bit. I'll have to try and get some pics to show you what I mean as a picture is word a thousand words, so they say!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:19 am

Fred that bloody brilliant if I may say so chap
:ugeek:
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:38 am

Hi folks
I road and water tested my schwimmwagen at the weekend and thought I would share my experiences here. My car has a 540 motor and a 7.2v racing pack for power. This is fine with good speed and endurance and I think that I got my gear ratio about right. The model is quite light and initially didnt perform well with wheel spins and understeering but I solved these problems simply by addding some extra weight. This gives me an excuse to crew it with a couple of fat germans and fill it up with lots of dragon accessories. The narrow wheels with PVC tyres dont perform well off road, they just dont have the grip that chunky rubber ones would have. 4x4 Drive would be a real advantage so Humpy has the right idea.

I tested in the bath and was pleased to find that it didnt leak at all. There seemed to be adequate power for propulsion but I suspect that steering and directional stability might be a bit poor. When running in reverse, the prop tries to pull out of its drive clutch, not a problem on my model because its spring loaded but something for others to watch out for. Running in reverse is to be avoided anyway because the engine access door is close to the waterline. Im worried that the stress of driving around off road might cause the seam around the hull to crack. Im tempted to add a sheet metal stiffener to the floor to reduce this problem.

All in all Im quite pleased with this model, its a worthwhile project.

fred