1/6 Scale Chain

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Chieftain 900

Re: 1/6 Scale Chain

Post by Chieftain 900 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 am

From my point of view I can see no purpose in carrying chains, the only occasion I can think of would be the tie dow from war flats. Taking it to a modern day setting when we offload we often keep the chains to be collected later. As said the germans had good tow ropes so why use chains?

The point about stowage is a valid one, you only have to look at preserved vehicle owners at shows with all the kit strapped to the outside, when a user would stow it and lock it in a bin.
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Gabriel the First picture shows an early Tiger I with a cloth cover over the muzzle break nothing new hear this was standard practice when the tank wasn't in action there is also a Zeltbahn further down the gun barrel, interesting early picture the Tiger in the back ground has a white number 2 on the turret when I have some spare time I will look to see which unit this may have belonged too

Second picture is again from 506 before the Ardennes offensive clearly showing branches attached to the barrel

Third and fourth picture are of the same Tiger but from different angles this is a mid Tiger, as you can see some effort has gone into camouflaging this Tiger it also has a battle scar above the drivers shield the turret numbers are on the lower leading part of the turret and end in 8 which is strange as it would mean that this particular Abteilung is over strength or has a unique numbering system, what ever is on the gun is of considerable thickness it's almost the same thickness as the un covered part of the barrel, I cant make out either way what it is.

The last picture shows a Tiger II which is a very late variant March 45 it has the 18 tooth sprockets and Kgs73/800/152 single link tracks what you ate looking at on the barrel is wire possibly chicken wire which branches would have been attached before the Tiger burnt out notice the Tiger is blackened at the front of the turret but the sides are quite clear showing a Balkan cross
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

hatakashi

Post by hatakashi » Fri May 08, 2009 2:16 am

Well spotted Rivet, u said previously that you haven't seen barrel netting on a Panther befoer, here you go.

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Fri May 08, 2009 9:21 am

Which all goes to prove that photographs can be used like statistics, you can prove anything with them. The last picture to me looks like chicken wire not string netting.

Photograghs are very good for backing up narative, but on their own without an explaination, what are you looking at? It's very easy to say "look told you so" with a photograph. I wanted to find a tiger with no ribs on the exhaust heat shield when I first made a metal set, because I didn't want to silver solder wire on. And I did, but can't tell you anything about it, it was just a picture which proved what I wanted.It's a bit like finding an old car with something diffrent like a different cam cover. You can take a picture and show people it had this, but without knowing the history or reason, it just a picture.

Research is not just finding a picture to prove a point, but finding the pictures and back up the picture with written information does. Having many pictures in the same circumstances is better, because a single picture just show someone did it, not that it was common place.

For people like Kent, he will spend a lot of time making sure of the facts, right down to the last little scratch, a true rivet counter. Others build to look right and not necessarily accurate. And it takes each to his or her own. You do what you like with you model. My tiger is a good example, I didn't know what to do when I started and happened to watch Kelly's Heros. I decided it would be a hoot to do the one which oddball bought at the end of the film.

Whatever you decide to do, if it's accurate to the last scratch, you need the research and I would suggest more than one picture for clarification, but if you just want it to look right , do what you want.

Not having a dig at anyone, just pointing out that a single photo does not prove or disprove anything without the research to back it up.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

hatakashi

Post by hatakashi » Fri May 08, 2009 10:29 am

Well said too Colonel, I do believe Kent and other club/forum memebers are experienced modellers. I was just surprised that Kent had never seen a Panzer with sandbags on. Photos of Panzers with sandbags on are NOT rare :lol:
Also I think in one of the Tiger 1 photos I showed, it was netting or at least some sort of fabric wrapping around the barrel (I believe no one here can say it's chicken wire!!). And I also said I used a bit of modeller's imagintion to turn it to stockings.
All I wanted to say and show is ... apart from chains, sandbags and barrel wraps did occur on WWII Panzers and no one can dismiss that (unless now you want to see sandbags on Panthers, Tigers or KTs)

We all know that there are dedicated guys out there who devour all their time and money to recreate a historically accurate tank, I salute to their dedications but that isn't what I want to do to my tank. For me, all I want is a KT which looks right and not necessary 100% historically accurate, that's all I want.

I think in this case, photos did backup my points, we aren't using photos to understand an event, so explainations are not needed. You see barrel wrapping on a Tiger, so it did occur on a Tiger, I think that's simple enough. We don't have to know WHY that particular crew decided to put the wrappings on, and HOW the wrapping performed in battle, those are irrelevent.

I shall rest my case here, anyway ... chains are available in B&Q!!! :twisted:

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Fri May 08, 2009 3:51 pm

hatakashi wrote: Chains are available in B&Q!!! :twisted:
And that's all the guy wanted to know in the first place. :confusion-questionmarks: :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-seeingstars:

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Fri May 08, 2009 4:03 pm

As Garry says, if it's your model you do what you like with it. Look at my models, they only exist in my own personal universe and that's good enough for me :) And yes, I take my hat off to the guys who make superbly accurate models, but then I don't burst into tears when I scratch,dent,bend my models. There are members who pay good money for a paint job with scratches all over it, I do mine naturaly. My models are more or less factory fresh when they come out of the workshop, the weathering and wear and tear is down to Humpy power :lol:

Horses for courses guys!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Bravo Stuart well put :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-woo:

jagdpanther

Post by jagdpanther » Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 pm

This thread has gone a long way since it began, and ive watched it with interest . The chain thats available from B & Q also dangles from the rear of my tank , because i like it , and its my tank.
Also it has the obligatory bucket dangling from the back , because its my tank , and i like it .
We are all different , and thankfully have different ideas when it comes to the way our models look. For me, haveing everything as it should be is not the way i want to go.
More than once i have stood looking in awe at a model .
Those that model to the nth degree i salute you , unfortunatly i do not have that sort of patience , or time .

Each of our models are different ( thank heavens ) and thats what makes the hobby so interesting . Some pick up on others ideas and develop them further.

Some may comment that haveing paid the sort of money for a model that we do , it should be as accurate as is possible. As far as i am concerend if the model gives the owner pleasure , then thats all there is to it .
At the end of the day its thier model .

Mine will have some interesting markings soon which will no doubt cause some comments . I have broad shoulders so there are no worries there. Besides , its my tank :P
1/6th Jagdpanther, various 1/6th motorcycles,1/6th mercedes staff car

Was zur Hölle war, dass

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Fri May 08, 2009 11:06 pm

OK Gabriel, nice picture this is of an LAH Panther G pictured in Paris Jun/July 1944 of interest are the two crew members NOT wearing black panzer uniforms, one is in Italian the other is wearing an Oak Leaf overall the Panther was built by MAN and yes it has chicken wire on the gun barrel.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Merlin Barnes

Post by Merlin Barnes » Sat May 09, 2009 12:07 am

By the time this post ends B & Q will have no chain left. :romance-ballandchain:

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Wed May 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Dear all

Well....after 41 replies to my original communique, can I thank you all for your interesting and sometimes informative comment. I suggest that this is exactly the kind of debate we should be having even if some of us are not really that interested in attaining 100% absolute historical accuracy with our tanks.

Thanks again everyone....much appreciated..... :)

John