21st Century Bike & Sidecar: Motor / Gearbox

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

blythmags

21st Century Bike & Sidecar: Motor / Gearbox

Post by blythmags » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:04 am

Hi everyone.....

Can anyone recommend a suitable make/model of an r/c car that I could use the motor/gearbox from in order to place in my 1/6 21st Century motorbike/sidecar ?. My aim is to try and obtain a second hand motor/gearbox unit from a suitable donor car and simply transfer this to my model with the minimum of surgery !. I intend to use a single wheel drive (sidecar wheel) as this would appear to be the easier option.

Many thanks and best wishes....

John

jdflute

Re: 21st Century Bike & Sidecar: Motor / Gearbox

Post by jdflute » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 am

Hi John,
I'm not convinced that driving the sidecar wheel is the best option. If you are going to drive one wheel then I would recommend it is the motorcycle. However, if the wheels are in line better to drive both.
This will be a more likely option if you get a gearbox from a doner vehicle.
What are the internal dimensions of the sidecar?
Good Luck

Jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:32 am

jdflute wrote:Hi John,
I'm not convinced that driving the sidecar wheel is the best option. If you are going to drive one wheel then I would recommend it is the motorcycle. However, if the wheels are in line better to drive both.
This will be a more likely option if you get a gearbox from a doner vehicle.
What are the internal dimensions of the sidecar?
Good Luck

Jd
Hi James

The internal dimensions of the sidecar are 300mm x 75 mm approximately. Unfortunately the rear motorcycle and sidecar wheels are not in line. I know some people have re-built the frame to address this issue but I'm simply not confident wnough to do this yet. Also another guy has simply powered up the sidecar wheel which apparently proves adequate. A couple of people in the states have used compact combined motor/gearboxes to save on space, with what looks like the motor/gearbox being sited half in, and half out of the bottom of the sidecar flooring.

There is sufficient space to house the receiver, ESC, battery etc within the sidcar (behind the seat).

My initial thought is to get a relatively high torque motor/gearbox with a single axle and put this in place ?....(he says with supreme confidence !!... :? )

Hope all is well and speak soon

John

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:45 am

I think Jim modded his to bring the sidecar wheel back a bit in line with the bike wheel and then used a rigid axle between the two. With a bit of jiggery pokkery it can be done!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:36 pm

My choice would be to mod it to drive both rear wheels, you'd have a lot more control. Half out of the bottom sounds about right, with an axel mount for the sidecar wheel.
jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS