Motor / Gearbox / ESC question

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

blythmags

Motor / Gearbox / ESC question

Post by blythmags » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Happy New Year everyone...........

I'm going to try a different method of converting another 1/6 motorcycle and sidecar combination I have ( I did the last one in DAK theatre, and thought I would do this one as an SS unit)

My knowledge of electronics has improved slightly but is still painfully inadequate !!.........therefore, could anyone comment on whether I still need a motor with an integrated gearbox ( gearmotor I think they are called), or would a motor and an ESC carry out exactly the same function ?....................i.e do I need a gearbox as well as a speed controller, or will the speedcontroller do this on it's own ?.

The Tamiya stuff ( ESC/Receiver/Battery etc) is quite large and is a very tight fit in this conversion, so I'm going to try and find a decent powered "micro" receiver/ESC/motor to power the thing up.........I used a 540 Tamiya motor last time, and it's very heavy and quite bulky.

If anyone has any model references for a micro motor/ESC/receiver that I would be able to power with standard battery battery connectors, I would very much appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance

Best wishes

John

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Motor / Gearbox / ESC question

Post by Humpy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 pm

John,

Jim Cusworth's your man as he's already converted a motorcycle and sidecar. I think he used a proprietary model and raided the drive and back axle from it. He cheated a bit and placed the sidecar wheel slightly further back so that the bike wheel and sidecar wheel are in line ie you can use a car drive set up and have two wheel drive! Not sure which ESC he used but I know we fitted a Benedini Micro sound unit in it as well and it sounds and looks superb. If only he can tear himself away from making snowmen and playing snowballs he may be able to help :D

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Humpy wrote:John,

Jim Cusworth's your man as he's already converted a motorcycle and sidecar. I think he used a proprietary model and raided the drive and back axle from it. He cheated a bit and placed the sidecar wheel slightly further back so that the bike wheel and sidecar wheel are in line ie you can use a car drive set up and have two wheel drive! Not sure which ESC he used but I know we fitted a Benedini Micro sound unit in it as well and it sounds and looks superb. If only he can tear himself away from making snowmen and playing snowballs he may be able to help :D

Humpy
Hi Humpy

Many thanks for your reply...........I had heard that someone on the site had arranged a two wheel drive system.....the last one I did was a single drive and it does lack a bit of power and grip, but still works ok. I'm going to try and arrange a 2 wheel system myself this time.......problem I found it that there aint a lot of space in the sidecar boot to hold everything, so I was just wondering whether anyone can suggest a make of motor and micro ESC and transmitter....hopefully someone will come up with an idea....................thanks for the reply and best wishes.

John

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 am

Hi John
a 540 is pretty big for a motorbike and sidecar combo, but given that it was single wheel drive you might have needed it?
Try testing out smaller motors to free up some space and look at some of the micro recievers and esc's for aircraft and heli's just watch out for brushed/brushless motor setups, it might help.
Jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:44 pm

jdflute wrote:Hi John
a 540 is pretty big for a motorbike and sidecar combo, but given that it was single wheel drive you might have needed it?
Try testing out smaller motors to free up some space and look at some of the micro recievers and esc's for aircraft and heli's just watch out for brushed/brushless motor setups, it might help.
Jd
Hi James

Hope all is well with you. As always, many thanks for your suggestions.......i'll try and source some micro stuff as opposed the the standard gear I used in the last conversion.

Regards

John