Cheap easy recoil mod

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Aussie tanker

Cheap easy recoil mod

Post by Aussie tanker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 am

After discovering these servo speed reduction devices mady by Turnigy are great for giving your tank a feeling of inertia and weight through adjustable take off/slow down speed control I also found these work great for controlling a servo used for gun recoil. With these you can independantly adjust the forward/reverse speed so you can set the initial recoil to the servos fastest speed and then adjust it so the gun slowley moves back into position. All this for around 7 dollars :P :P

You can buy from here.

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBB ... oduct=8863

Heres a test vid of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwRAVhoYuFI

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Cheap easy recoil mod

Post by Humpy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:38 pm

That's quite neat, and cheap too! Thanks for sharing that with us. How did you synch the recoil to the Benedini though?

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Humpy, I told you about this guy he’s using the digital encoder as opposed to the analogue encoder most of us use so his method wont work not unless you want the gun to recoil with every selected function
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Aussie tanker

Post by Aussie tanker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Yeah should have mentioned that im using the digital encoder to control this. Off the subject a little I am talking to the designer of the Model Sound Solutions SFX6 sound module and we are working together in incorporating some really cool features in the next software revision which in my opinion will outperform the current Benedini units in every way. Only issue is you have to build up the sound files yourself but once a few tanks have been done it would be easy to share the sound files around much like the elmod guys are doing.

I have got a SFX6 in my Tamiya Sherman ant it is a nice unit. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpr4eEiyfYE

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Also going off topic but Thomas is looking to make some changes to his Benedini units. I've asked him for one or two things so we shall see :ugeek:

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Aussie tanker

Post by Aussie tanker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:47 am

Humpy wrote:Also going off topic but Thomas is looking to make some changes to his Benedini units. I've asked him for one or two things so we shall see :ugeek:

Humpy
Sounds like good news all round then.......must go celebrate this news with a nice dram of single malt ;)

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:21 pm

So I take it that we would have to buy a new TBS5 MKIII to get all the new features?
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Depends if it's hardware or software! I did ask Thomas if it was possible to make a more usefull output which is synchronised with the MG sound and main gun sound to facilitate connection to recoil systems and wiggly waggly MG systems. Even if it was only a TTL level o/p it would still be easier to interface other devices. Thomas designed a small circuit which will drive a relay from the flashing LED outputs for me but it's not a very elegant solution to the problem. This is what I've used on my JP to drive a wizard board to move the MG, a puppet board to move the remote MG on my Stug etc etc.

Humpy
UKTC President

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 pm

The wiggly MG is very easy to use with the Benadini all I have done is modify a standard servo so that it turns 360 degree this is linked to the ball of the MG so all though the servo turns through 360 the MG only goes from left to right, the servo is Y leaded from the Benadini, operation is through the encoder as you fire the MG the gun also moves the down side is the MG searches at every command IE engine start or the reverse sound for instance the MG searches (moves) though this is without flash
Werkstatt - 5
RAG Militärmodellbau
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Chieftain 900

Post by Chieftain 900 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:30 pm

As I have 2 r/x it is easy to synch the recoil, when servo one in the hull triggers the main gun the same channel is triggered in the turret activation the soleniod for recoil, perfect synch as well. Same for mg sevo triggers a flashing unit, perk of having wire free turret I suppose. Well it works for me. :D
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com