Animatronic Dollies: Mark 1 Tiger

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

blythmags

Animatronic Dollies: Mark 1 Tiger

Post by blythmags » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:55 am

Dear all

I have just received two animatronic dollies and wanted to ask a question which will probably be a very straight forward question to most friends on this site.......the dollies obviously plug into a 12v battery, but what will I need in order to set them up to the tank battery, without them wiggling their pretty heads continually as a result of them being permanently powered up ??

I guess the answer is going to be something like a on / off "switch" of some kind ? ........( my technical prowess is certainly improving isn't it !).........if this is the case, can anyone advise what "switch" (type/part number etc )I should use so that I dont need to take the tank to bits everytime I want to connect the dollies up ?

Cheers

John

PS: I aint sure whether my technical ability is imporoving much at all despite considerable help in the past from my UKTC friends........but hey.......I still enjoy being a tank driver !!.... ;)

Heer Hund

Re: Animatronic Dollies: Mark 1 Tiger

Post by Heer Hund » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:23 am

Hi John

You do not want to be connecting your Dollies straight to a 12 volt battery, or you will burn out all the servos :shock:

What you need is a control board, like a wizard board, http://www.bpesolutions.com/conproduct.html . You need to choose a board to control how many servos you have. Then you have to manually program your servo movements, then it will play it back in a loop. They run of a range of voltages, but you normally need a 5 volt supply to run the servos.

Hope this helps

Mick
I have personally given up hope that politicians who never experienced war first hand will ever realise that war is the worst of all possible alternatives.
Otto Carius. Commander 2nd Company sPzAbt. 502
1/6th Tiger 1 #217 sPzAbt. 502, Jadgtiger #114

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 am

Mick,

John's dollies already have a dolly board designed to run off 12v (or more!)

John,

Yes an ordinary on/off toggle switch or rocker switch connected across the main tank battery. I think yours is probably 12v but the board should run off 24v at a push. Make sure the switch goes before the main on off switch of the tank ie take a direct feed off the tank battery otherwise you'll have to have the tank switched on to have the dollies on!!

Any more probs just ask, it's what the Forum's for. Don't worry if you think the question is silly or obvious we won't pull your leg, honest :D

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Humpy wrote:Mick,

John's dollies already have a dolly board designed to run off 12v (or more!)

John,

Yes an ordinary on/off toggle switch or rocker switch connected across the main tank battery. I think yours is probably 12v but the board should run off 24v at a push. Make sure the switch goes before the main on off switch of the tank ie take a direct feed off the tank battery otherwise you'll have to have the tank switched on to have the dollies on!!

Any more probs just ask, it's what the Forum's for. Don't worry if you think the question is silly or obvious we won't pull your leg, honest :D

Humpy
Hi Humpy
Thanks for that.
Is there any retail outlet or product reference that you would suggest ? :oops:
Cheers mate
John

saracen

Post by saracen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Maplin is the standard high-street purveyor of these sorts of bits.

From your location, it looks like the closest ones to you are at:

Newcastle - Pilgrim Street
Gateshead - Allison Court

They will be able to help you pick a switch which meets your needs.

Adrian.

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:24 pm

saracen wrote:Maplin is the standard high-street purveyor of these sorts of bits.

From your location, it looks like the closest ones to you are at:

Newcastle - Pilgrim Street
Gateshead - Allison Court

They will be able to help you pick a switch which meets your needs.

Adrian.
Thanks Adrian

John