Tamiya vs Benedini

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
blythmags
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 am
Location: Blyth, Northumberland

Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by blythmags » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:03 am

Hi everyone.....

Now I understand that this might be a little contentious given personal preferences etc, but I am looking at replacing my current Mark-1 sound systems ( on both my 1/6 Tiger 1's) to either Tamiya or Benedini. The question is which system has both the most authentic and better volume sound potential ?

I currently have one boxed Tamiya Tiger 1 sound system which has never been used, but I'm reluctant to fit this until I gain expert advice from my trusted pals on this site. I can always sell this on evilBay if I end up not using it.

Finally, is there anyone in the North of England that would be in a position to fit either the Tamiya or the Benedini given my limited electronic knowledge.....and if so, what the anticipated cost would be ?

I'm assuming of course that both the extraction of the current Mark-1 sound system and the installation of either the Tamiya or Benedini would require more than a basic level of electronic knowledge ?.... :oops:

Cheers guys....

Best wishes

John

User avatar
hatakashi
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:31 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by hatakashi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 am

One more option...the SFX6 !!

User avatar
Humpy
Forum Administrator
Posts: 3581
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:41 pm
Location: SE UK The Garden Of England
Contact:

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by Humpy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 am

John,

Far be it for me to put you off but don't forget that you'll need speed controllers as well, that could cost a few quid! I know that some have used the original speed controller pack with a new sound system by Y leading the drive channels but I'm not sure about that...

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

User avatar
Chieftain 900
Posts: 1355
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Back in England
Contact:

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by Chieftain 900 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 pm

looking at the various modules around Sf and graupner etc it seems that if you want a sound most of them need you to provide it, which for some might be hard. I am happy with my Thomas board representing CV12 in Challenger. The sound is spot on and comes from a real CR2, I know this as I recordeed it!!!!, once it is at full wack with everyting else going on I think it is ok, but again it is personal preference.
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

BigPanzer
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Weston-s-Mud, SW UK

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by BigPanzer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi,

The Tamiya sounds are quite good when played through a decent speaker and their system has the advantage of a synchronised output for their gunflash strobe. However you would not be able to use the motor outputs they provide, nor the turret, gun elevation or recoil because they are not capable of supplying the current required. It is possible to uprate them, but this is very much a specialist job.

The Benedini TBS 5 is a very popular and well proven unit, but you will need to make your own arrangements for track and gun control, recoil and gun flash. You will need a separate power amp for it.

The TBS Mini is a cracking little unit. It has several programmable outputs which can be used for anything from flashing indicator or brake lights to mg gunflashes. Thomas does not provide tank sounds with it, though he might do for a consideration, but sounds are widely available on the internet if you know where to look. The unit is completely programmable using his special lead and free software which means you can modify or replace sounds at will. Using a .wav file editor such as Nero you can have hours of fun, and I once had my Gepard making a range of animal sounds!
Again you will need a separate power amp for it.

I don't have any experience of the SFX unit that Gabriel mentioned so I can't make any comments on it.

So you pays your money and takes your pick.

Peter

User avatar
rivetcounter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: Solihull, Brittanistan

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by rivetcounter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:38 pm

I have had the Mark 1 sound system and the Benedini is now fitted to my Tiger, I have also fitted the Tamiya system to a Panther, all have there faults along with excellent points though your problem is that you say you are not competent with electrics at this point I would advise you to get a quote for fitting a system to your tank the other thing you have to consider is the cost of your new sound this will be £300+ are you willing to spend that kind of cash
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

User avatar
blythmags
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 am
Location: Blyth, Northumberland

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by blythmags » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 am

Hi everyone...........

As anticipated, I am more confused than when i first posed the question !..........albeit through no fault of my friends on this site !!

Can I simplify the questions ( for MY benefit only !! :oops: ):

1. Is it worth placing the Tamiya Tiger 1 sound system I have in one of my tanks
2. Do I wait and save up my "pocket money" up and replace the standard Mark-1 sounds with Benedini and if so, at what cost ?

I guess the critical question is that... I have a "spare" Tamiya sound system...........do I sell it or use it ?

If Benedini is that good, do I forget all else and save my "pocket money" up ( and yes.....I'm 54 yrs of age.... ;) ) and purchase these systems ?

Thanks as always for your advice ...............

Best wishes

John

Merlin Barnes
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Wantage Oxon

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by Merlin Barnes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:17 am

It seems to me that, looking at the replies to your questions, you have been given the answers and it's now time to make up your own mind.

saracen
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by saracen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 am

You won't get a straight answer as these things are subjective.

I've never (knowingly) heard the Tamyia Tiger sound system in action so can't give any advice as to whether it compares favourably to the Benedini for accuracy, volume etc.

Is there any reason why the Tamiya unit couldn't be installed whilst you save your pennies ?

If someone is going to do the wiring for you, they should be able to do it in such a way as to make it simple to swap to the Benedini (or whatever) once you have the finances to purchase it.

To me, it would be better to use the Tamiya system and have a "noisy" Tiger than have a silent one until you can fit a different system.

Adrian.

User avatar
blythmags
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 am
Location: Blyth, Northumberland

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by blythmags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 am

Merlin Barnes wrote:It seems to me that, looking at the replies to your questions, you have been given the answers and it's now time to make up your own mind.
I want to be sure that I have all the info before making up my mind.....the answers to the questions have been helpful in this respect.

User avatar
blythmags
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 am
Location: Blyth, Northumberland

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by blythmags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 am

saracen wrote:You won't get a straight answer as these things are subjective.

I've never (knowingly) heard the Tamyia Tiger sound system in action so can't give any advice as to whether it compares favourably to the Benedini for accuracy, volume etc.

Is there any reason why the Tamiya unit couldn't be installed whilst you save your pennies ?

If someone is going to do the wiring for you, they should be able to do it in such a way as to make it simple to swap to the Benedini (or whatever) once you have the finances to purchase it.

To me, it would be better to use the Tamiya system and have a "noisy" Tiger than have a silent one until you can fit a different system.

Adrian.
Good point Adrian !

Aussie tanker
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by Aussie tanker » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Also consider the fact that the Tamiya is designed to be used with a tiny 2" speaker and has an output of about 0.5 watts so personally i would rather drive the tank silent than going to the trouble of installing that sysyem. I also find the Tamiya DMD's not to be very realistic sounding but as with most things in life your milage may vary.

There are a number of options out there but I think the SFX6 should also be considered. Much cheaper, more capable and easier to install than someting like the Benedini having its own very powerful inbuilt amplifier (more cost savings). They can pre-load the sounds onto the module before shippping making it a plug and play system or if your game can have a go at creating your own via the software they provide with the module.

Im using them in all my tanks both large and small scale.

User avatar
blythmags
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 9:56 am
Location: Blyth, Northumberland

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by blythmags » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 am

Aussie tanker wrote:Also consider the fact that the Tamiya is designed to be used with a tiny 2" speaker and has an output of about 0.5 watts so personally i would rather drive the tank silent than going to the trouble of installing that sysyem. I also find the Tamiya DMD's not to be very realistic sounding but as with most things in life your milage may vary.

There are a number of options out there but I think the SFX6 should also be considered. Much cheaper, more capable and easier to install than someting like the Benedini having its own very powerful inbuilt amplifier (more cost savings). They can pre-load the sounds onto the module before shippping making it a plug and play system or if your game can have a go at creating your own via the software they provide with the module.

Im using them in all my tanks both large and small scale.
Hi.........
Thanks for your suggestions....definately food for thought !
Cheers
John

User avatar
AndyR
Posts: 869
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:37 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by AndyR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Chieftain 900 wrote:looking at the various modules around Sf and graupner etc it seems that if you want a sound most of them need you to provide it, which for some might be hard. I am happy with my Thomas board representing CV12 in Challenger. The sound is spot on and comes from a real CR2, I know this as I recordeed it!!!!, once it is at full wack with everyting else going on I think it is ok, but again it is personal preference.
Bob, so the benedini sound module has the CR2 sound files, it's not listed on his website.

Does it have the engine start up, etc?

I'm just investigating what I may do on my model, we'll see......it sounds like a good idea especially if you link it into one of his smokers mmmmmmmm.

Cheers
AndyR
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

User avatar
jdflute
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:44 am
Location: Sultanate of Oman

Re: Tamiya vs Benedini

Post by jdflute » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:37 pm

I have decided to go with the Biere Electronic unit http://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/index.php The make a couple of different units but the USM RC2 has a built in amp and servo and lighting control.
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest