i wish i had'nt started!!!!!!

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

COSWORTH44

i wish i had'nt started!!!!!!

Post by COSWORTH44 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Looks like its going to be a long job cutting out all the engine and vent grills on my mark 1 tiger 1.Someone said they had done it so just another job to add to the list!!!!!
Mark 1, tiger 1 late 1/6 command tank Tamiya king tiger henschel & porsche versions Matorro king tiger , Heng long tiger 1 early & late steel wheel Tamiya jagdpanther & Heng long jagdpanther Heng long panther late version ALL 1/16

Colonel_Kramer

Re: i wish i had'nt started!!!!!!

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 am

I did start to cut out all the webs between the grills, but then opted for the simple approach, cut the whole lot out and replace all of the rear grills etc with metal ones from Armortek. In fact I have replaced the commanders cuppola and hatch, the turret tool box, mg ball and mount, drivers visor, rear deck grills, gun, mantlet and recoil tube, all with Armortek.

In fact all that is left of the original is the basic turret shape, upper hull and the road wheels, I've even changed the tracks and sprockets. A lot of the fittings and fixtures I have made or got from Steve Winstone.

It's a nasty job doing all that but, the end result looks good. It also has a custom built steel lower hull. Not one for taking pictues of the process, I just like getting on with it.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 am

I opened up the engine grilles on both my 1/8th models and on my 1/6th JP. The silly thing is with the shrapnel shields on the JP you can't see all that work but at least you can hear the sounds that bit better! A grotty job and one that you have to have a shower each time you have a go at it as the fibre glass dust is awful.

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Thu May 06, 2010 8:26 am

Yup, anything to do with shaping,cutting or sanding fibreglass is a serious pain. For ages when I was replacing all of those parts it seemed like every time I cleaned the dust out of the workshop, a new layer of dust would appear. When I did the gun mount, a rather substantial block of aluminium, what a mess that made milling that, but I would far sooner have swarf all over the floor and bench, I can plain hoover that up and it's gone.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

COSWORTH44

Post by COSWORTH44 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:11 am

how much would the armourtec cost me!!!!
Mark 1, tiger 1 late 1/6 command tank Tamiya king tiger henschel & porsche versions Matorro king tiger , Heng long tiger 1 early & late steel wheel Tamiya jagdpanther & Heng long jagdpanther Heng long panther late version ALL 1/16

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:15 am

bah.... hardin up Chap I went and cut mine out with a Dremel drilled, linked then filed...

Sounds raucous with my new sound card 8-)
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

hatakashi

Post by hatakashi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm

I thought about doing that but then I brushed away that idea because quite often I play it in heavy rain and that "sealed" engine grille is most helpful! :D

wiggy

Post by wiggy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Guys

I know what you mean, :( I cut them out of John's 1/4th Tiger1, never again, killed my dremil :cry: and that stuff gets every where :oops: link below

http://www.modelwarfare.co.uk/forum/sho ... .php?t=938

Richie Wiggytronics ;)
WIGGYTRONICS FOR TANK & BOAT SMOKERS. r-wignall@sky.com

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:51 am

I did this for my 1/6th Jagdpanther so I know what a gutty, messy, itchy job it is! Looks nice when it,s done though, so nice in fact I covered them up with shrapnel shields :lol:

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!