Mark 1 Tiger - Defunct ?

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

blythmags

Mark 1 Tiger - Defunct ?

Post by blythmags » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi everyone...

Oh dear.......having not started my Mark 1 - Tiger for a few weeks I was dismayed when I tried to take it for a run yesterday, and found out that despite both the transmitter batery and main tank battery being fully charged, the notor would not turn over. All I could hear was a bit of a crackle from the speakers. The tank was running perfectly on the lastrun a few weeks ago. I keep the tank in the garage and with the freezing weather in past weeks up North, I wonder whether this could have been the root problem ?.

I emailed Mark and he stated it may well be the ESC that is defunct and that I may have to dismantle everything, send the ESC down to Mark for his trroble shooting analysis and if it has fried, it would have to go back to Russia..... :o

I just thought before I do this, I might ask everyone whether this has ever happened to anyone else in the past, and if so, what the outcome / diagnosis was ?. It certainly sounds like it could be a transmission problem ?. It's one of Mark-1's early model Tiger 1's so I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that's just fizzled out !... :(

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .... :(

Can I take the opportunity to wish everyone a fantastic Xmas / New Year and the best of health for 2011

Best wishes

John

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Mark 1 Tiger - Defunct ?

Post by Humpy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 pm

The all in one ESC's have a habit of erasing their memory chips so the micro-computer just sits there waiting for instructions that never come! Mark's right what he says, normally a change of chips is enough to get you up and running (my JP went through three sets before changing to 4QD and Benedini sounds-always another option I suppose!) but if the unit doesn't respond with new chips then it's back to the Motherland for a repair! Of course you could appeal for a spare!!!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks Humpy.......looks like it's goig back to Russia through Mark !! :(

Best wishes

John

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi Humpy

Just a thought....what would the price be for 4QD and Benedini sounds, and probably more importantly, how difficult would it be to change my current set up to Benedini stuff ?.

Best wishes

John

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:44 pm

John,

Crikey, now you're asking! A Benedini set up at the moment is around the £300 mark if you have Thomas's amplifier and encoder, cheaper if you have some alternatives but very possibly more hassle unless you a; know what you're doing or b; get someone else to do it for you! The 4QD Vortex 40's and the 4QD to RC adaptor will cost you approx £180. On top of this is various switches relays and stuff and possibly someone to wire it up for you. It's not rocket science but for someone who hasn't done it before it can be a bit daunting to say the least!!

So a good few quid is the bottom line, perhaps not so palatable this side of Christmas? :(

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

blythmags

Post by blythmags » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Humpy wrote:John,

Crikey, now you're asking! A Benedini set up at the moment is around the £300 mark if you have Thomas's amplifier and encoder, cheaper if you have some alternatives but very possibly more hassle unless you a; know what you're doing or b; get someone else to do it for you! The 4QD Vortex 40's and the 4QD to RC adaptor will cost you approx £180. On top of this is various switches relays and stuff and possibly someone to wire it up for you. It's not rocket science but for someone who hasn't done it before it can be a bit daunting to say the least!!

So a good few quid is the bottom line, perhaps not so palatable this side of Christmas? :(

Humpy
Cheers mate...best wishes
John

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:56 pm

Might be worth getting Mark to take a look at the speed controller pack to see if he can get it working, if only as a stopgap measure. If you still wanted to upgrade to Benedini and 4QD you still could when the ££ situation is a bit better!

Humpy
UKTC President