bite the bullet!!!!! 2.4

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

COSWORTH44

bite the bullet!!!!! 2.4

Post by COSWORTH44 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:54 pm

I have decided to bite the bullet and go 2.4 Does anyone have a preference over what trasmitter etc.I,m looking at a futaba 7c as some of the guys have them already .Im not tempted to go 24v yet not unless the mark 1 brick goes bang!!!
Mark 1, tiger 1 late 1/6 command tank Tamiya king tiger henschel & porsche versions Matorro king tiger , Heng long tiger 1 early & late steel wheel Tamiya jagdpanther & Heng long jagdpanther Heng long panther late version ALL 1/16

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: bite the bullet!!!!! 2.4

Post by Humpy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 pm

The Futaba 7C and 617 Rx is probably the one to go for. Although some of the guys were looking at a cheaper nine channel 2.4Ghz set so that might be worth looking at. I must admit to being a bit of a Futaba snob! I remember having a brand new 40Mhz Sanwa set for my JagdPanther and it always suffered from glitches, changed it for Futaba 2.4Ghz kit, no problems at all, good as gold. Not perhaps a fair example but just my personal experience!

Try looking on Ebay for secondhand stuff if you're on a budget but make sure you know what you want to pay as, like we all know, it's easy to pay too much on Ebay. My new stuff I've always bought from Inwoods models who seem to be pretty reasonable but again, use Google. Some guys have bought from abroad with success but beware the dreaded Import Tax if rumbled!!!

24v upgrade is whole different ball game!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

[ICE]monkey

Post by [ICE]monkey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

ive got the futaba 7c and its a great bit of kit , but dear compared to lazer or spectrum txs, but i wouldnt change it ;)
blitzkrieg panzer IV , mark 1 tiger II
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 am

My preference is Futaba. Currently use an FF9 with the 2.4 conversion and never had a problem. I also have some Spektrum DX6i with for my helicopters, but I'm not keen on it. The Futaba looks and feels better and has been trouble free. The DX6i I've had some strange problems with that. Although the radio is sold with the heli and may to some extent be tailored to a price. The RX when compleley batty, it would bind, take off and be ok then just stop. So the heli dropped out of the sky. Eventually it wouldn't even bind. I replaced the RX and it's been ok ever since. You pays your money and takes your choice.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

COSWORTH44

Post by COSWORTH44 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am

I will get a 7c and hopefully get it plumbed in soon.I will also need a complete re wire as there are too many plugs to muck about with when taking the turret off.I was thinking of chain dsrive but have been told the front of the tiger needs to be modded to take the dimentios of the chain drive.
It blew the 30 amp fuse i had in it when driving on wet grass last weekend,well it done it twice so the quick fix... a 40 amp fuse,long term maybe the chain drive.
Mark 1, tiger 1 late 1/6 command tank Tamiya king tiger henschel & porsche versions Matorro king tiger , Heng long tiger 1 early & late steel wheel Tamiya jagdpanther & Heng long jagdpanther Heng long panther late version ALL 1/16

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am

Assuming you have the old combined gearbox with the lower wattage motors, the problem with the fusing is the fact that on grass it was always dead easy to stall a motor with a nutural turn and take a fuse out. 40 amp fuses will make it less frequent but on grass it is still possible to take one of those out. If you are considering converting to chain drive then also consider converting to 24v. The motors will run at 12v but as they are 24v motors so you don't get the full benefit. And if you are doing that, then convert to 4QD and benedini sound.

The front end needs a major rework. It needs new drive shafts, bearings and a structure to fully support the shafts. It needs an engineered solution.
TwoR's -
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

BigPanzer

Post by BigPanzer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi,

This is purely a personal thing, but I hate 2.4Ghz! My Panther has a quite expensive camera system and Tx built into it. This is not one of the cheapo twenty quid jobs available on Fleabay. The Tx/Rx system cost me over £100 without the camera and 2.4Ghz R/C equipment has rendered the whole system useless.
While trying to get a signal at the Club barby all 12 channels I have available were completely wiped out even though there were only 2 other models running at the time.

I don't blame modellers for this, I blame the Government for selling off this part of the radio frequency spectrum in spite of the fact that it was already occupied by WiFi and low power users of analogue equipment.

The move to 2.4Ghz for radio control forces me to consider several options:
I can up the power of the Tx in the tank. This is anti social, potentially dangerous and illegal. It can also cause reception problems due to increased reflections. Not to mention the cost.
I can switch to the 5.8Ghz public band for the TV link. Equipment is becoming available but the price is still high.
I can give up with remote TV and mount a video camera on the turret. This is a very crude, basic solution that still really needs some sort of RF link so I can still see what I am recording.
I can go to 10Ghz using modified bits from alarm systems, but this solution is more suited to static applications.

Has anybody come up with a cost effective answer to this problem? As I have said, I am not getting at those of you who run 2.4Ghz radio, I am just citing it as another example of "progress" costing money.

Peter

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Peter,

Going off the original subject a bit but that's something I never though of. I once had a remote TV system in the tank with 2 cameras selectable via the radio, with one camera behind the drivers position giving a letter box picture and one burried in the commanders guff on the cupola. But I only ever used it with 40mHz

The problem with uping the tx power of the tv sending system past the miniscule power it is licensed for is actually illegal. Ok you could say who would notice and the answer is probably no one. I can't remember the legal limit but I am sure it is milliwatts and it is microwave so very much line of sight ,so there is also that argument too. The problem is there are people out there who don't observe any of the rules and regulations, especially cheap imported equipment. Often these have a very dirty signal which often spreads crap all over the place and not just on the carrier frequency, it's stuff build on a shoe string. Interference is one thing that the authorities get interested in. With low power microwave it is probably not going to present much of a problem. And there lies the problem, yes the government sell off bands with liitle consideration and open the door to all sorts of gadgets from dubious origin with the bare minimum of components to get the stuff to work. The authories used to be pretty good in that respect, but I think there is so much stuff out there that they concentrate on interference which affects hospitals etc.
TwoR's -
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I think Wi-Fi is 10mW, ie not a lot! Don't know about other devices on 2.4Ghz but I suspect it's a blanket limit. If that's the case, the 2.4Ghz Tx's do bloody well considering!!!

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

BigPanzer

Post by BigPanzer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Garry,

My apologies for hijacking Cosworths thread, it just seemed like an appropriate place to have a bit of a rant! In answer to Cosworths question, my answer would be that if I was considering a move to 2.4 I would go for the best gear I could afford based on the principle that in the R/C world, as in all things you get what you pay for. However I would be looking for a set that had 5 fully proportional channels rather than just 4. This makes the fitting of a Benedini encoder that much easier. Hitec do one, but I believe Thomas uses Futaba 9C.

The limit for 2.4Ghz TV stuff is 10mW for the UK, which is adequate for what it is intended for. The Tx in the Panther has adjustable output power up to 100mW but I find the lower settings give better results when combined with a good omnidirectional stacked Rx aerial which gives me some gain. I made it myself by scaling a UHF Ham band aerial.

What I will probably end up doing is buying and modifying an ordinary 5.8Ghz video sender when the price drops a bit.

Peter

Stuart - I think the limit for WiFi and R/C is higher than 10mW on the 2.4 band, but I haven't checked. Also I think there are restrictions placed on the types of Tx aerial that can be used on some types of equipment to limit the radiated power. Again, I can't remember details but I know that WiFi Tx aerials have slightly different plugs to prevent them being used on TV transmitters because many of them have gain built into them which would put them over the legal limit.

COSWORTH44

Post by COSWORTH44 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks for everyones input.I will have to weight it all up.I might just get another tank with all the upgrades and run both, then I will need a bloody van!!!! Sound like I need a second job.

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:08 pm

That's the way it hits you!!!

Humpy
UKTC President

saracen

Post by saracen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:16 am

2.4GHz WiFi is 100mW EIRP (Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power, so a 50mW Tx can be coupled to a 3dB gain antenna, a 25mW Tx to a 6dB gain antenna etc.

Adrian.

COSWORTH44

Post by COSWORTH44 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm

i bought a second hand one off ebay,practically brand new.Now it seems that i need to erase all the setting from the previous owners heli.Got the reciever and servos as well.Looks like a re wire coming on.