Remote switching by RC

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

saracen

Remote switching by RC

Post by saracen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 am

I'm developing a system which will hopefully allow the remote switching of up to eight circuits, using the same sort of method as Thomas's sound selection.

There will be an 8 way switch on the transmitter, which selects the item to be controlled, and a toggle switch to turn the item on or off.

I started thinking of things which could be switched and which were not already controlled by one of the Armortek modules and found I quickly ran out of ideas :roll: :oops:

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Internal lights
External lights - separate headlights and convoy lights ?
Smoke system heating element
Animatronic figures - maybe on separate circuits ?
MP3 player and amplifier for radio chatter

What else could be fitted and controlled in this manner ?

I know we've had various people producing things like shell ejection and hatch opening, but these would require a whole load of other mechanicals as well.

Adrian.

007Kiwi

Re: Remote switching by RC

Post by 007Kiwi » Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 am

Hi Adrian, I just came across this post.
I am interested to see how you get on. Sounds like fun and I guess you could use it across different types of models too?

Ships / Tanks / Armoured Cars etc? Including Buildings Lighting etc.

I am thinking Pillbox here with gun, sounds / muzzle flash etc and or proximity tripping

Regards

Brett
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

saracen

Post by saracen » Wed May 23, 2012 12:33 pm

> I guess you could use it across different types of models too?

Yup, anything with a spare RC channel really.

I've hacked a 6EX to give me seven proportional channels but there's no reason it couldn't be installed in one of the higher end transmitters which have more proportional channels.

Adrian.

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Interesting,
I bought something similar from canada for my six channel Hitec, never got it to work :cry: but have now gone digital with the Turnigy 9x. Would your system work with 2.4ghz transmitters?

Jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

saracen

Post by saracen » Wed May 23, 2012 2:46 pm

> Would your system work with 2.4ghz transmitters?

Yes, as it's the 2.4GHz Futaba I'm playing with.

2.4GHz is trickier than 40MHz et al as there has to be two way communication as the transmitter and receiver bind.

As far as I'm aware 40MHz et al is all one way.

Adrian.

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Post by Humpy » Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Howard made a thingy using a Picaxe to make a two way latching device using one channel. FSD one way to switch on, FSD the same way to switch off, and the same the other way, to give two latching circuits from one channnel. Better than the average single switch per channel device but not as many options as you want? He was going to work on a device to use the Benedini encoder to give multiple switched options but I think thats fallen by the wayside! This idea is like the Canadian idea but I think they stopped production. Thats when I decided to try and make a button encoder for the Benedini sounds to replace the Canadioan idea, simpler and cheaper.

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

JohnD

Post by JohnD » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:16 am

Benedini does a unit that provides 6 switched outputs. You can also link it in to use the additional 'spare' positions on the sound rotary switch - I got one to try out and used it like this with the spare rotary positions and it worked fine.
John

1/6: JS2, JagdTiger, 222, SdKfz7 Half-Track, 88mm Flak36, Sherman, Comet, T34-85, Firefly, Centurion, MkIV
1/4: KT