Post War German Tank Turret Numbers

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

sparks

Post War German Tank Turret Numbers

Post by sparks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Can anyone tell me if the post war turret numbering system is the same as that used in WWII ?
If it is then it seems to me that the decal sheet with my Leopard 1 is contradicing itself. It gives two options and both seem wrong to me, I will take one example. Turret numbers below:
If this does follow WWII numbering, then, as I understand it, the 1st number is the company, 2nd number is platoon, and 3rd number is the actual tank number within that platoon starting with 0 for platoon commander up to 4 (5 tanks per platoon). So the numbers "554" should denote tank No4 in the 5th platoon of the 5th company. :roll: with me so far. :lol:
Now, the tactical number/plate on the decal sheet that goes with the "554" is this:
Which, again to my understanding denotes , number 2 on left is for 2nd company of the 293rd(numbers on right) Panzer Battallion. You see where I'm going with this :)
So if this tank is from the 2nd company of the 293rd Panzer Battallion, why is the company number on the turret a 5 :?
Tamiya are usually pretty good with their research and detail, so am I missing something or reading things wrongly ?
Also, while I'm at it, on the licence plate, apart from the Y denoting military vehicle, does the 6 digit number denote anything, or is it just a sequentual numbering system ? Phew :lol:
Hope somebody can shed some light on this.
Cheers
sparks