Sd.Kfz.250 R/C?

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

FUNKER

Re: Sd.Kfz.250 R/C?

Post by FUNKER » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:53 pm

Hello Dave,
Yes I had noticed that the top plate should overhang the bottom plate.
What thickness did you use?
Did you put a false skin over the entire top lid?
Two sensible suggestions are better than one and there could be much more?
Patrick

ArmorpaxUK

Post by ArmorpaxUK » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi Funker,

.75mm plasticard and for simplicity of blending in the joints just skinned the whole upper piece (as per the pics)

oh damn 3 match suspension now

cheers

Dave

PS your lucky I finally got Mel off the phone or I wouldn't be replying :lol: :lol: :lol:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

FUNKER

Post by FUNKER » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:12 pm

This is the first dry run of fitting the differential, universal joints and stub axles.

Please note the differential is facing aft as I intend to install motor and gearbox over axles facing forward.

[img][img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/ ... CN1415.jpg[/img][/img]

Should the differential be fitted to deck or can it be allowed to float?

I like these chunky universal joints, but I might replace them with home made dog bones. What do you think would be better?
Patrick

FUNKER

Post by FUNKER » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:19 am

Here you can see my home made dog bones fitted to diff.

[img][img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/ ... CN1453.jpg[/img]

But which is better I do not know.[/img]
Patrick

007Kiwi

Post by 007Kiwi » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:59 am

Hi Funker, I Think ya dog and bones are the dogs danglers.... :D

Any further work done?

Cheers
Battlegroup
South Pacific

:techie-ebay:

Sean Brannin

Post by Sean Brannin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 pm

I know this post is old but i have had an idea reading up on the 250 and 251 series vehicles. Would using an old clutch drive gearbox work? The real vehicle steers by the front wheels for minimal steering and larger turns. Once the steering goes past a certain point clutches in its gearbox stop one track or the other to give a tighter turn.
The old clutch drive tamiya gearboxes combined with a stering servo on the front wheels would mimmic this pretty well. Im considering getting one of these in the next couple months and have a good clutch drive gearbox around. Would my idea work? It will drive off a 540 motor and a decent ESC can give god low or high end speeds.

I met Endee at the first duxford meet and asked him alot of questions on his 250 at the time.
1/16 Tamiya Tiger 1, 1/16 T-34/85
1/15 Bandai Stug IV, 1/16 Tamiya Leopard2A6, and 1A4,1/16 Flakpanzer Gepard, 1/9 M1A2 Abrams 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen

endee

Post by endee » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:31 am

Hi Sean.
I have not seen the Clutch drive gearboxes you mention but it must be worth a try.
My 253 is still running well with no problems with drive or tracks (into it's second year of shows now),
As you saw at Duxford it has a reasonably tight turning circle using just the front wheel steering, I feel that if you introduce track steering as well you could end up putting a lot more strain on the tracks due to them trying to scrub the front road wheels from side to side as the turn tightens up further than the front wheels can pivot, maybe even twisting the tracks off their wheels.
I feel that the reason for it's reliability so far is that the stresses on the tracks are quite low due to their only having to propel the vehicle in a straight line (effectively) with virtually no twisting stresses.
The only drawback I have found with my system is that as there is no suspension on the track roadwheels and limited swing on the front axle beam if I try to drive it onto a slope at an angle I can loose traction on one or other of the tracks and it just sits there spinning,(usually a quick blip in reverse gets me out of the problem, MOST TIMES).
Good luck with the project, let us know how you get on and if these Tamiya gearboxes work as you hope they will.
Will you be at Duxford this year? I am hoping to be there.
Kind regards, Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it's shared, if you can remember it !!!!

Sean Brannin

Post by Sean Brannin » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:01 pm

If i adjust the clutch drive right it will only engage at the most extreme turns. it will still be mainly front wheel steer. Basically the clutch drive will only slow one side or the other a little unless i do a really aggressive turn It works well in my King tiger and its running on its original 30 year old track. Im just trying out ideas and seeing what i can do with what i have on hand. I will let you know though. Clutch drive vehicles are still pretty common for about the same price as the 3 speed gearbox. If all else fails i have a diff from a TXT 1 that i could use. It is fwd/rev capable and my LHS carries 3 speed gearboxes.

Unfortunately i will not be at duxford. My tour in the UK was up a year ago and i have returned to Utah. There are NO TANKERS out here :evil: im looking at local venues to display my tanks and run them. I am also looking at days the base museum here has event days to use for that.
1/15 Bandai Stug IV, 1/16 Tamiya Leopard2A6, and 1A4,1/16 Flakpanzer Gepard, 1/9 M1A2 Abrams 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagen

endee

Post by endee » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:50 pm

Hi Sean.
Sorry to hear you won't be at Duxford.
Please let me know how you get on with the clutch drive system,I hope it works out well for you.
If you need any further help or if you want to chew over any ideas drop me a line.
I hope you can sort out a few chances to show your tanks at the base otherwise I can see you suffering withdrawal symptoms.
Good luck, regards, Noel.
Knowledge is of no value unless it's shared, if you can remember it !!!!

Sean Brannin

Post by Sean Brannin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:53 am

Thanks in advance fr any assistance. Im not going to get it until may si o have some time to look into it. One thing that would help in advance is if anyone has pictures of the hull where the drive sprocket mounts and of the drive sprocket itself. This will help me figure a way to mount it to the gearbox.

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Great thread here. I just picked up an AH SdKfz250. I wish the pics were still available on the rc build of this halftrack. Does anyone have the dimensions of the mg34 gun shield and the angle of the plates? I know I can buy one but I'm a scratchbuilder at heart. Is it possible to have this threads pics restored? Thank you in advance.... Harold