CRARRV Build Update

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyR

CRARRV Build Update

Post by AndyR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Ok Gents,

It was me!

I bought her, the idea of it being broken up and sold in bits was too much for me so I sold a kidney and bought her from Wombler!!!

Now that I have her back in bonny Aberdeenshire I have the top deck in the study here with me so I can make the detail parts and the chassis and tracks etc in the garage!!

As there is no disguising the fact that I did not build her to the state she is in now I thought I should start a thread on the build up.

So here is the photos of the Rhino as she stands at present, call it an as-found survey!!!

The model as seen in the photos below was created by Rob F, who then sold the model to Wombler. I'm not sure what Bill (wombler) did to it so if he reads this maybe he can add his input and let me/us know. I do know that Rob F did the vast majority of the conversion as you see it now.

Some of the pictures have been posted elsewhere before, I just thought I would collate them here to give agood snap shot of the status she is in now.

Cheers
AndyR

Last edited by AndyR on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

Humpy
Forum Administrator

Re: CRARRV Build Update

Post by Humpy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:20 pm

That looks like that could be keeping you busy over the winter months! Keep us posted with pics to see how you get on.

I presume the chassis hasn't run yet? If you need any advice on the electrics you know where to post :)

Humpy
UKTC President

Bryan The Bastard-JagdPanther 132, Ermintrude-SdKfz251 133, Thors Hammer Stug IV 135, Arwen 1/4 Panther 136, 137!!, Iveco 75R15 In Service!

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Hurrah!

Yeah cheers Sturart, i was about to start the head scratching about the wiring set up. Does a wiring diagram exist? Each of the tails on the ESC is tagged but a bit more info would'nt go amiss, I guess I could phone Mark, but if there is such a thing as a diagram then I'd love to see it!

There is a fighting chance that I could be seconded to Canada for a couple of years so this may be a short lived project before it goes into storage but we'll have to wait and see. Might take it with me?!

Chassis hasn't been run and the tracks have still to be fitted, they have what looks like 3mm nails at the master links, no idea how I'm going to sort that. Maybe remove the nail and replace with a threaded rod and nuts? No idea at present just concentrating on the detail parts until the wiring is finished in my garage, then the fun can begin!!!

Cheers
AndyR

jdflute

Post by jdflute » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:05 am

lucky bugger,
I wish I had a kidney to sell but after last night both of mine are working overtime.
Good luck with the build I look forward to many detailed reports to come.
But what about your other projects? haven't seen news on either of them for some time
Jd
1/16th T34 85 - Parade Ready
1/12th Abrams - Parade Ready
1/8 Merkava MkIII - Buiding Stage

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi, thanks and I intend to post a load of pictures in a few weeks!

I have made a few bits already and just neatening the odd damaged bit at present.

The, warrior mcrv and the scimitar are both in stasis at present all the warrior parts are in storage and the scimitar remains as a Desk top engineering excersise (it served it's purpose I got my degree).

But the annoying bit with the warrior is that a machinist still has the sprockets after 2years!!!! Also I was a bit silly with the design and made some very tricky designs. I will solve this and get it built but it'll be after the CRARRV. Anyway after seeing robs craftsmanship maybe I'll change design?!

Cheers
AndyR

Ps more to follow in the following weeks (I hope)

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06 pm

aw shucks, now ive got my head stuck in the doorway !

Craftsmanship, now , wait till you see this baby.

glad you are happy Andy.

gkwChallenger3

Post by gkwChallenger3 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Yes keep us posted Andy, be interested to see the model when its finished. My Dad told me there were a tuff cookie to build, when in production at the Leeds "Barnbow" factory where he worked there all his life.

Cheers

Gary

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:18 pm

@ Rob,

Happy, me, I'm chuffed to bits, lots to do and being able to work on a solid structure is / will be a pleasure.

@ Gary,

No probs intend to keep posting pics as things are being worked on. Might have something to show for the weekend - maybe.

Cheers
AndyR

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:29 am

Hi gary, talking of tough nuts!

Would your dad remember off the top of his head what these bolt sizes were? Long shot I know, but I can still remember the size of spanners to service a JCB, Thwaites 3te dumper truck and a Bomag 100 vibrating roller and thats going back 10 years when I was a mechanic!!

The photos are from the prime portal website.

Any help would be grand?!

Cheers
AndyR

gkwChallenger3

Post by gkwChallenger3 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 am

Hi Andy,
My dad wil be at our house on sunday, and i will fire the computer up at home and show him the photo's, he will be able to ID them for you know problem, as he did this for someone who was building a Chieftain tank in 1/6th scale, he's the man alrite,i will report back to you on Monday Andy with your answers.
regards
Gary

Chieftain 900

Post by Chieftain 900 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:49 am

Andy if I recall off the top of my head it was 1/2x7/16 af for the AE base bolts
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:38 am

Ok thanks chaps.

I just want to confirm before I superglue about twenty on!! Also it'll keep me right for the other bolts as I'll have a good scale reference!

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Chaps,

No info so far on the bolt sizes, any body wanna take a guess and see if it matches my own estimate???

I wanna glue them in tonight to save them getting knocked out all the time!!!

Cheers
AndyR

Chieftain 900

Post by Chieftain 900 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Andy
Like I said for the AE base either 1/2x7/16 or 9/16

bob
Bob G

Heavy cav rules

http://www.Isallt.com

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks Bob,

I have / am using this as a reference just looking for peoples thoughts on the scale.

Here are pictures of the Rhino as it stands at present. I've been doing what I can where I can every night. I'm not a particularly good modeler I'm the first to admit but the results so far I think are passable.

Cheers
Andy