new rear deck mark 1 liger

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

COSWORTH44

new rear deck mark 1 liger

Post by COSWORTH44 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I need to find out what I can remove from the mark 1 tank without causing the structure to weaken .I intend to replace most of the rear deck with amourtec parts.It would be good if i could make the rear panel part of the main body and not have it lift off with the upper hull.Any help would be grateful as to where you can put joins.

thanks

Paul
Mark 1, tiger 1 late 1/6 command tank Tamiya king tiger henschel & porsche versions Matorro king tiger , Heng long tiger 1 early & late steel wheel Tamiya jagdpanther & Heng long jagdpanther Heng long panther late version ALL 1/16

Colonel_Kramer

Re: new rear deck mark 1 liger

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Paul,

It depends on what your objective is. If you just want to replace the grills and covers using ones by Armortek, then you can cut out and sand down the rear deck without removing the whole deck. But you will need to have everything bolted down to put the strength back. It's also advisable to run a angle iron on the underside of the deck. I would use the front row of bolts of the engine deck grills.

However, if you want a fully functional engine deck then with the engine hatch opening etc, it's a lot more work. You might be able to get away with just cutting away the section you intend to replace with metal, but I would suggest it might be easier to replace the whole deck with the Pre cut one from Armortek. Either way you wil need a left and right set of engine grills, radiator cover, rear grill, rear central engine bay cover, snorkel cover, engine hatch, hinges, air intake cover, hatch props which is 2 parts, and you will need 2 hatch handles, I would make those from steel and silver solder them in. The Armortek rear deck would normally bolt to the front section and is bolted into the hull using angle brackets. However, the rear section only has one mounting point which is under the rear 2 lifting grills, you would need to add an extra set of mount points towards the front.

I have done the first part which works ok, but you have beware of the fact that you are weakening the structure. I personally think taking the engine hatch out too would probably weaken the fibreglass to much without a lot of additional support. An you can only affort to cut holes just big enough to push the grills into.

Either job is a lot of work and neither job will be very cheap.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

COSWORTH44

Post by COSWORTH44 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi

I expect to keep the 2 main larger grills and replace the rear ones as this is where I wanted to put my electrics.The main hatch was also an idea so I could get to bits and bobs. Gill has already given me a price. I would have liked to be able to keep the rear hull panel on the body of the tank and not lift it off with the upper deck.
Mark 1, tiger 1 late 1/6 command tank Tamiya king tiger henschel & porsche versions Matorro king tiger , Heng long tiger 1 early & late steel wheel Tamiya jagdpanther & Heng long jagdpanther Heng long panther late version ALL 1/16

Colonel_Kramer

Post by Colonel_Kramer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:55 pm

If you are going to replace the rear grill, then realistically you would be better off replacing the radiator cover as well because the grill is hinged on that. You would have a job drilling the holes for the hinge pins. If you intent to replace the engine hatch, again you have the same problem with the hinges unless you replace the rear centre cover. If you are going to do that it would as if spoiling the ship for hapath of tar if you don't replace the big grills.
TwoR's -
MAASSCKT-1-TANK Tiger owner
UKTC Official Photographer
M-1-T Official Photographer
Nikon D3 and D2Xs user

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Paul,
Have a look at what I did with my own Tiger http://www.uktank.org/phpbb3/viewtopic. ... ger+i+late
It is possible to remove the rear vents and cut out the engine hatch but you will have to plate the underside of the fibreglass with alloy or with angle iron or alloy one problem you will have is the unevenness of the fibreglass this has been done before by a chap in Italy if I can find a link to his build I will post it
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.