Chieftain MK11 build

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

rivetcounter

Re: Chieftain MK11 build

Post by rivetcounter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:08 pm

To my shame I have only just noticed this build thread and whilst Chieftain may not be mu choice of tank I have had a most enjoyable time reading through the build and have to say the attention to detail and workmanship are most excellent no doubt you are very proud of this tank and I will be following the build in the future.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

possum

Post by possum » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Mark thank you,

I think we crossed paths briefly at a UKTC event years back you were with Robert. And I remember your stunning Late Tiger, with its interior detailing, exterior detail & great paint work. Also enjoyed your video clips of Tiger while you were over in Europe & with the German RAG Tank club, couldn't believe you sold it after all that hard work. I'm no expert on ww2 German Tanks, but I can appreciate the workmanship that go's into your models.

Good to see we have a diversity of members interested in tanks from across the different decades. Makes the club more interesting.
I have started following your Armortex 222 build but to my shame haven't posted yet, excellent work.... look forward in seeing more.

Cheers Gary D

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 pm

possum wrote:Continuing on with more catch up post to do with the wheels & suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xis8ZdyKBaA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIxiyYxD1jE

Cheers Gary
Hi Gary, just tried your links but the you tube one is private channel?

Anyway, really enjoying the build :)

Cheers
Andy
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

possum

Post by possum » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks Andy, I try & sort it out. :oops:

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Gary, the will have been at Muckelborough in 2010, the only other Time I brought the Tiger back to England was 2012 at Bovington along with a few RAG members, as for the Tiger I miss having the tank around and have looked at buying another to replace it maybe once the 222 is completed talking of the 222 this is now drivable and will be taken to Munster in a few weeks’ time to display with RAG, after that I will concentrate on the upper body.

I mainly like the German WWII stuff but when I see any tank built to the level that you and Andy have with his CRARRV then I have to take notice, for me it’s not just 1/6 scale it’s all scales which is why I enjoy attending some of the events in Germany as they have every scale you could think of some of the detail the members have put into 1/16 models is outstanding plus there is a “can do” attitude amongst the members if they want to build a tank as you have then they will find a way to achieve there goal.

As for not commenting on the 222 well there is plenty of time and to be honest no detail work has been done yet.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:33 pm

The links are fixed now!!

I'm laughing here as those are the ilder mounts i designed for bob, along with the drag link and the pins, etc.

It uses olive bushes as well.

Reason I'm laughing as i was getting annoyed about tensioning the cr2 track (today) and i thought sod it, lets make it prototypical, so i looked up the chieftain idler and compared it to CR1 idler adjuster and it looks like a match!!!

Then i come on here and find you posting a video of those adjusters!!!!

I have all the dogs for the idler assembly, let me know if you need anything :)

Cheers
Andy

possum

Post by possum » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi Andy,

Rob dropped in to see me over the weekend, with his Chally 1 & Chally 2 books. And yes your right, the idlers on the Chally 1 & 2 do look like a match :lol:

We were comparing loads of stuff on the late Chieftain that ended up on the Challenger. We must have wasted 3 hours talking about Chieftains, Chally's, & your CARRV ,,,oh yes & Radio Sets, motors, tracks,3D printing, soundcards, ..."Rob needs your help with the sound card".... & loads of other sad geeky RC Tank stuff. :ugeek:

I did notice a couple of things in his books that were the same, & he thought you had prototyped for your CARRV. Have you made a NBC pack out interest & centre wheel caps....I'm missing a couple.

Hi Mark, Yes the RAG members have some brilliant machinist in their club, also some superb modeling skills with adapting the smaller scale tanks & I agree they do seem to have a“can do” attitude which I hope to copy.

Cheers Gary D

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Possum,

No problem, will find the part files and post some pictures on here and dims for you to check.

I also designed up the main wheel hub as well......

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Just had a trawl through the part files on Inventor.

This is what i have.

Last edited by AndyR on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 pm

Some more:-

I plan on recycling the Idler adjuster as it looks like the same part from challenger.

Challenger was essentially born from Chieftain, something of an evolution in design.

I have the excellent CR1 Haynes manual, lots of pictures and some good explanations on how the design evolved.

Cheers
Andy
Last edited by AndyR on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

possum

Post by possum » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Wow its my birthday & Christmas all at the same time. :D

I spent 3 years at Art College as a technical illustrator back in the early 80's, your drawings are eye candy. Unfortunately for me I missed out on the computer explosion, started after I had left. I used to be able to do the old school illustrations with a air brush, frisk film. rotoring pens... but solid works, illustrator, inventor, etc. have moved engineering drawings on.

Very impressed with your 3D modeling drawings, Andy. If its ok with you I'll print them out for my man cave wall.

If you can let me know the damage for some wheel centre caps & the NBC unit when you have time that would be fantastic. Also have you modeled the cable towing eyes. Rob looked at my attempt said I should try again he said the towing eye looked a little short.

Thanks for showing me the drawings, next time your in the West Country I owe you a pint or two.

Gary

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:49 am

Hi Gary,

No problem mate.

Possibly need to check a dim or two on the caps to verify it'll fit.

NBC pack is printing as we speak.

Will post pics tonight.

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:31 am

Your NBC Pack, fresh off the printer, no post processing done (sanding, painting, drilling holes etc).

The little bits to do tonight (takes 45mins).

Work is busy just now, so might be weekend before I can return to this.

Cheers
Andy

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:50 am

This is what was envisioned all those years ago, at the beginning of the club. Modellers helping modellers to improve/facilitate the builds, of different models that were not commercially available !
I have been helped by both Andy and Possum, and class them both as first class modellers and both as what clubs are all about.

possum

Post by possum » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Andy,

that looks brilliant. Please don't worry about the time scale, I haven't even started on the Chieftains turret yet. Still very much at the planning stage & I'm still working on the running gear. Still sorting out some problems before I can post some more photos. Open evening tomorrow night at work for new students so that my evening sorted :(

NBC unit is fantastic, & I'll posts some photos & Dmm's of the centre wheel caps.

Thanks again Gary D