Challenger 2

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Rob

Challenger 2

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:05 am

Spurred on by Possum and Andy, I have recently found a Chally 2 to play with. A big Thankyou to Challenger.
Not another CRARRV build this time, nor another Cent ARV conversion ( though it was very close after finding a real Armortek Cent hull for sale ) message me if you want a link to it.
A Chally 2 that has already had its ride height sorted out ( a lot of the Mark 1 Challengers seem to run at GTI height) and interestingly runs on 12v rather than 24, perhaps the lack of a second battery is helping the ride height.
A Sabertooth dual ESC has been purchased from a robot shop, and Modelsounds inc in Canada are in the process of sorting a sound card ( I really rate their kit).
Details have already been nicely added to it, but I'm hoping I can make a few more, not least the front idler/track covers that seem to extend too far forward on all of them.
Any ideas from those who have already done a Chally will be welcomed.

possum

Re: Challenger 2

Post by possum » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi Rob,

did you go & collect the Challenger 2 today. If so can you post some photo's.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Patience is not only things wot doctors deal with lol

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:39 am

This will look good.

So are you doing a fully detailed CR2?

What paint scheme, Telic / Granby / BOAR / Salisbury?

Up armoured, anti RPG Flails fitted?

Looking forward to the build.

Cheers
Andy
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:46 am

Rivetcounter did a superb fully detailed Challenger 2 that would be very hard, if not impossible to better, must admit I'm viewing his pics for inspiration ( all of his builds are superb).
I've always thought that the 1 is a much nicer looking turret. Looks more like a tank and less like a streamlined science fiction object.
Time will tell. Your offer of Challenger 1 parts make a strong argument to shave off one of the existing bins and an intake horn on the back and add a bit of different detail. I'm going to have a go at a complete 1 turret before I commit.
In my time in, tanks were always black and green, I know it takes away the visibility of small details and that the yellow desert scheme shows off, but . . .

Unable to collect at the moment due to wife needing her car ( damned inconvenient) and my van ECU not liking it's new EGR valve, but my good fortune is having Challenger willing to deliver on Saturday. Thankyou again mate.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi Rob,

Sounds great, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

I've had a search on the site for Rivets CR2 build, but i can't find it.

I have bulldogs CR2 build photos from way back, where are these photos?

Cheers
Andy

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Ok, call it a senior moment ! Old age is a real bugger.

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun May 01, 2016 12:50 pm

The build has begun, after a run up the garden path holding the positive leads onto the battery. . . Literally a run alongside as no electrics mounted yet.
I like to put a pair ofsubstantive (18mm) wooden braces across the hull on Mark 1 hulls, linked with 12mm longerons. Makes for a good battery box as well as stiffening the hull and giving a sturdy base to mount the electrics on.
Done.
Next bit . . . . .

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Sounds awesome.

Photos?

Cheers
Andy

possum

Post by possum » Sun May 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Andy, Rob emailed me these photo's of his Challenger 2 so I'm going post them. Hope that's ok Rob

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BGL8w ... 61-h643-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4nV0K ... 61-h643-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wX9sT ... 61-h643-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/63jP- ... 61-h643-no

Oh & Rob....... you need one of these excellent NBC units, I know someone who maybe able to sort you out with one for a price :lol:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rTpoh ... 62-h643-no
Ok that's started you off Rob, keep taking those build photo's. Looking good so far.

Cheers Gary

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun May 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Cheers Possum, I've a good mind to find which panel opens to get to the NBC unit, and make it removable so I can see it fitted.
The multicoloured optic lenses that show on one of the pics, fitted by Challenger, are made from old DVDs. Cut with a Dremel disc so as to not delaminate it. Shows as red, then through to green as it moves around. Brilliant effect I reckon.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sun May 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Looks great gents,

I'm looking forward to further updates.

Regarding NBC pack, I'm afraid I don't think it is used on CR2, not even sure if its used on CR1 actually?

But can easily produce a mother NBC kit for whoever sees a need for one ;)

Cheers
Andy

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 am

This section is turning into the modern tank build section, we just need Howard to start posting him Centurion build.

Rob, I have never done a Challenger, I think you may be referring to Shaun “Bulldog” he detailed a Challenger 2 and a Leopard 2A5, I did consider a Leopard 2A5 myself but the known track problem put me off buying one.

Keep up the good work chaps it’s nice to see some modern builds
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed May 04, 2016 11:30 am

Yes Rivetcounter, my apologies, it was indeed Bulldog.
I blame my old age.
Yes the tracks made of cheese is a worry, time will tell I guess. I'm hoping that running 12v rather than 24 will lessen the strain with the less weight and motor effort .

rivetcounter

Post by rivetcounter » Wed May 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Rob, unfortunately the problem lies in the track ends these break at an alarming rate to the point that they will render the tracks useless in less than 10 hours of use both Gary and Cloughie had 12v in there Challengers and both constantly had problems with the track ends Gary changed his to steel and Cloughie gave up as far as I know for the last 8 years his has been a static model, I did get a price on having these CNC machined from high quality alloy these were £1 each problem is you need some 450 of these for a complete set of tracks I could have got them down to 80p but this would have been based on at least 4 people placing an order, there is a chap in Germany who made his own to save on the cost when he converted his Leopard to the latest A7 version which was impressive on 24v the way it moved.
It may be time to find a sympathetic engineer who will make them at a reasonable price for cash.
Werkstatt - 5
UKTC European Coordinator
RAG Militärmodellbau
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.