So the printer has been working hard over night.
2x failed prints (both circa 5hrs long) ouch, they were salvageable, but I'm keen to get it right
Anyway, current failed print jigged up to get dimensions and get a feel for things before i cut copper pipes which will be the load bearing members.
I also have to decide if I will make an intermediate ABS support half way along the beam, I was intending to span the gaps with Styrene sheet, it will be covered by gear anyway so not much evidence will be on display....
I managed to snap the tow wire holder, so i need to re-print that, another overnight job!!!!
A bit frustrating but thats the story to date anyway.
Photos cont'd in next post.
provide me with some inspiration that progress is being made.
I do have some HIPS to use but am saving that for the crane pedestal, i am expecting more shrinkage on that print so want to use ABS where I think I can engineer out the shrinkage or by pure orientation alone.
More photos to follow....
Engine deck appears to be approx 10 to 15mm too short.
Engine Stowage beam appears to be circa 10 to 15mm too long - noooooooo......
Basically, my various bits i made in canada are possibly a bit big by 10 to 15mm......
Mmmmm, not good!
Seems like i need to re-make the engine beam and reduce the length by 15mm or so....will do that last i think once i have finalised dimensions.
both me & Rob have ended up getting some sort of dimension wrong on our current builds. My list would take up pages.....Took me three attempts to get the slope & angles right on the front hull of the Chieftain... 1st time was annoying, 2nd failure I nearly cried & left the build for a week, 3rd time nailed it "oh the joy" or was it relief. Bush guards two attempts, idlers two times, at the moment rear sprockets may be three or four before I get it sort of workable.
Robs been fighting... out of scale fibreglass on his Chally, he has built his exhausts twice before he was happy & has found problems with the height of the rear deck, length of the hull.... etc. on the original.
Your build & 3D prints are really great, I'm sure this is fixable.... you just haven't thought of it yet.
Rob keeps telling me when I make stupid mistakes & have to redo it again & again..... " its all good fun"
Cheers Gary D
Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated.
I walked the dog tonight (instead of Scouting duties) have decided a few things....
1) Decided to refurb my Defender 110 (X reg) to my spec (winch, new seats, new paint job, new panels etc etc);
2) Decided to adjust the feet on the a-frame by 8 mm or so;
3) Remount the front of the support for the stowage beam 8mm further fwd;
4) Hope that this solves the dims issue;
*1 depends on whether i still have a job by end of November
I intend to re-make the a-frame feet tonight, will maybe do two sets moving the mounting point 5mm each time, might take a few days but will mean high degree of success due to the adjustability.
The intermediate part is to help support the styrene as it spans between the end points.
I had always intended for the beam to contain two stiffening rods, 5/8" copper pipe, this takes all the weight.
A bit overkill i know, but i was a bit worried about how much weight would be fitted to the beam and indeed how it would be supported, so the pipe in the middle takes away all concerns on this regard.
I think its starting to take shape, i will take the engine deck and attempt to finalise the dimensions and glue everything down.
I also printed out a template for drilling holes in the beam so it will centralise with the a-frame.
I also have the printer working tonight to print out the final version of the a-frame legs.
Once all glued up it will support the stowage beam.
You get the idea with everything loaded up and jigged into position the dimensions are not looking to bad at all.
Any inaccuracies I will mask with styrene strip
hope to get some time to review the crane pedestal design this week, (that'd be nice).
Would love to print that bad boy out, but think i need to retain focus on the engine deck beam and try and get it pushed further on.
Printer is getting a hammering , printing parts for me and Rob just now.
So while its printing i have been working on the stowage beam and gluing things into place.
Note the transmission hatches all glued with exception of 1 which i will re-print one evening.
See latest photos below
Once I have all info will make a start.
I was looking at the existing model of deck hatches and i intend to modify those to suit your needs, hope that makes sense.
So why am i saying this, just that i haven't had much if any time to work on the CRARRV.
I did however manage to snatch an hour before the kids got up and the last 3hrs in the garage just now
So photos of current progress.
Stowage boxes jigged up and part way through building, I need to finish the angle bar support structure and fit some clever stiffening sections hidden which will transfer the load of the stowage boxes into the beam better and allow the styrene to provide the Aesthetics.
I managed to jig up the jerry can holder, I had to stiffen it up a fair bit, mainly due to the thin plastic, i don't think anyone will notice and by the time its painted i out you will see it
PS most of the bits are not glued in place, mainly jigged up.
Hope to get some more work done on the Chieftain today as its pouring down here.....
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests