CRARRV Build Update

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyR

Re: CRARRV Build Update

Post by AndyR » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:43 pm

No problem, hoping i have sussed out a consistent way of printing with HIPS to avoid warping.

I have tried elevating the long flat parts on thin sacrificial feet, this will raise the component circa 5mm from the hot build plate, so hopefully it will avoid warping as the bulk of the material is at the same temp for longer.......time will tell.

I'll print you a copy once I'm happy with the design, then will add to the for sale section.

Cheers
Andy
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy...........

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 am

Possum / Rob,

I'm thinking of tackling the cable drum on the rear of the tank, this a common component to all three vehicles i think, do you have any good close up pictures of it?

I think its a field phone into the vehicle intercom system, i think!

Cheers
Andy

possum

Post by possum » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Andy, I'll be checking the For Sale section :D

Is this the cable drum your thinking of https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VBDws ... 66-h622-no

Not sure its the same as the Chieftains which looks like this https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OmIRY ... 35-h622-no

and is on the side of the turret

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Have a look in that book Andy, a couple of good pics

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 am

Hi Possum / Rob,

Fair point, look like different parts.

Anyway, I think I have finalised the Loaders / Mechanics Hatch.

Parts are printed in ZHIPS, which is very nice material, even printed in 0.19mm resolution, which is quite high. it hasten warped hurrah, also starting to understand how this printer behaves with this material.

The downside is i have printed this hatch (and every sub component) out 4 times now, so quite wasteful on print material, but its been worth it i think.

Not shown here (but will post pictures tomorrow when hinges glued in place) is that the hatch works, it also works like the real version, in the fact that one hatch locks the other in place (with the correct cushion moulded in place). I have holes for the locking latch in place, but still to print out the actual locking latch.

Photo bucket is really slow just now........

Cheers
AndyR

possum

Post by possum » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Hey Andy,

That's a really nice sharp print you've achieved on the hatch. Looks really great.

Gary

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 pm

It certainly looks crisp . . . . This is bringing the promised extra dimension ( promised by the printer manufacturers) to 1/6 tank modelling.
Well done Andy.

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks guys,

Will post some pictures of it glued up and open and closed.

Worth noting that the ZHIPS is excellent stuff, seems to be good at resisting warping, but finish is not as good as ABS, but you need to print ABS at a resolution of around 0.09mm per layer, which is much slower compared to using ZHIPS, which prints at the highest resolution of 0.14mm, the hatch was printed at 0.19mm.

To avoid warping I designed in thin feet around 5mm high, which are sacrificial, this made the whole print sit around 5mm higher than the raft. I have heard that the heat in the build plate causes a problem as the plastic at the bottom is warm by comparison to the upper layers, by putting in some artificial height you get the part to be more uniform in temperature which helps to resist warping.

There seems to be a shortage of ZHIPS just now in the UK as the new M300 printer has been released and it only uses ZHIPS so everybody is hoovering it up. I have two rolls of ZABS being delivered, with ZHIPS back ordered. I will going forward buy only ZHIPS I think, especially for bigger parts.

I have some more parts printed, but will post photos when I get a moment and its mounted on the model.

Got to admit I do love my printer, its a great enabler. Certainly means the Warrior recovery is much more likely to get built which is next after the CRARRV.......then maybe the Scimitar.

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:22 am

So heat is starting to become an issue in the garage, or rather the lack of heat is the issue (or partly to blame).

The lack of temperature control in the garage and the garage ability to plummet in temp to circa 5 deg C or lower means the 3d Printer gets more failed prints.

Normally I'm ok with that and I had tee'd up my wife to allowteh printer to come into the house.

But i know it makes a noise (think normal printer but going on for 3 to 24hrs depending on what your printing..... and my wife has an insane ability to hear noise...

Anyway, i was in the big smoke this weekend for my brothers wedding (glasgow) and this PM I suggested to the missus about having a wee wander around IKEA (i am firmly in the good books - ha).

Anyway I bought 3x LACK coffee tables, oak effect, for the cost of £6 each, its an insane bargain and one I felt I needed to snap up.

The idea is to produce a cheap cabinet to house the printer and fit an aquarium thermostat, heater and cooling fan. The idea is to have the cabinet sitting in a stable 25Deg C.

Andyway I have screwed two tables together, tomorrow I buy some perspex and some plywood and some hinges, so I can finish off the cabinet.

Cheers
AndyR

PS I cannot take credit for the whole idea I have amended a similar cabinet for a different printer, so far so good.
Last edited by AndyR on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saracen

Post by saracen » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:29 am

Love a bit of lateral thinking 8-)

Adrian.

possum

Post by possum » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Good work Andy, made a big different with our printer in a cold workshop at night at College. Money well spent :)

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:24 pm

Fingers crossed.

Have bought some perspex today so will maybe get a chance to complete the cabinet, will post picks soon.

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:18 am

No photos I'm afraid, but status as follows:-

Cabinent - structure - complete;
Webcam fitted (no more guessing on status);
Temperature controller - in the post;
Cooling fan - in the post
Reptile heater lamp - in the post;

So the "idea" is to have a reptile heater switched on by the temperature controller to heat unto 21C and have a cooling fan switched by the temperature controller at about 25C.

Hopefully this will avoid the cabinet spiking in temp above 30C.

I have to be careful as I don't want to bake the printer electrics, pretty sure the brochure says its good for 40C, but will need to double check.

I just want to simulate a warm room really, but with no draughts......

Cheers
Andy

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:57 am

So cold in the garage, so not been able to do much.

Have also been extremely busy with scouting stuff, being a parent and working, so not much in the way of free time.

Anyway, I ventured into the garage to take some measurements and undercoat the mechanics hatch (searching for inspiration here).

See photos below.

I have a huge list of jobs todo tomorrow, but hoping to carve out some time in the evening for me time ;)

Cheers
Andy

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Winter is a bitch in my shed, but you are showing us the way to go Andy.
Nice.