Replacing smoke unit on a Taigen 1/16

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Curt

Replacing smoke unit on a Taigen 1/16

Post by Curt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Can anyone advise me? I am a novice, so I like things simple! I watched a YouTube video about replacing the smoke unit on a Taigen, it advises unplugging everything to enable the existing unit to be unscrewed from underneath. I don't like the idea of pulling all the fragile connecters. So, I wondered if I could drill out the 3 relevant screws to remove the broken unit and then use double sided tape when fitting the new Tarr unit i have just ordered. That way, I only have to deal with the unit's connection and subsequent replacement will be so easy.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Don't tell me off for buying a Taigen, I have learnt my lesson!
Thanks

Rob

Re: Replacing smoke unit on a Taigen 1/16

Post by Rob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Surely removing the screws will result in less damage to the model, and even if you drill them out you will still have to disconnect the fragile connections ?
I'm not au fait with the model, but unscrewing is normally easier than drilling out hardened screws .
Best of luck either way, as for choosing the wrong manufacturer . . . . . . Think of the building you can do to improve it, and in the end it is your model, like no one else's.

Curt

Post by Curt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Doh! You are quite right. Of course I still have to get to it. Thanks. No more advice needed. I'll do it properly and carefully.
I have just acquired a mark 1 1/8 imagine what I'll be like with that!
Thank you Rob.

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm

No worries Curt,
Remember , the only daft question is the one you never asked before breaking something.