Scratch built tracks

For the serious discussion of RC Tank building and general engineering matters.

Moderator: Moderators

morganp

Scratch built tracks

Post by morganp » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm building a 1/12th scale challenger 2 and I'm having a real issue with the tracks - they keep riding off the drive sprockets. The tracks are straight, the wheels are level and in line and there's enough of a gap in the drive sprockets for the track ends to locate. I suspect its something really simple but I've kind of run out of ideas. I'm heading towards re-building both the tracks and drive sprockets with a little more tolerance than they currently have. Has anybody any experience/solutions/advice?

Rob

Re: Scratch built tracks

Post by Rob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Years ago when I did a Chally 1 in 1/8, I had to make the sprocket teeth more upright rather than tapered, they worked well. There are many references online regarding sprocket design, many of which I read up on.
I can get you a pic , just remember that the Chally 1 tracks mesh differently than the 2
First thought was to tighten the tracks .

morganp

Post by morganp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks, Rob. There's a bit of slack, so I'll tighten them up and see if that makes a difference. I'd like to see pics of the sprocket/tracks as well as the finished tank.
I've down some research on sprockets and re-drawn the sprockets, but I guess I'll do a little more.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:10 pm

How many teeth on your sprocket are holding or engaging at any one time with your tracks ?
The Mark 1 version manages about 4 or 5 ish with my new connectors, they still need to be run fairly tight, and Mark recommends removing the suspension stops on first and last roadwheels to keep tight tracks.

morganp

Post by morganp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 am

4 or 5 teeth are engaged at any one time.
I'm strengthening the support to the idler wheels as there may be some give resulting in the wheels not running parallel with the tracks.